Projectile Motion: Solving for Range at Various Launch Angles

In summary: I am so sorry.In summary, the problem involves a shot-putter throwing a shot with an initial speed of 4.0 m/s from a height of 4.5 ft above the ground. The task is to calculate the range of the shot for launch angles of 20 degrees, 30 degrees, and 40 degrees. Using the equations for projectile motion, the time and distance were calculated for each angle. However, the answers obtained were incorrect due to a mistake in converting the initial height from feet to meters.
ama

Homework Statement

A shot-putter throws the shot with an initial speed of 4.0 m/s from a height of 4.5 ft above the ground. Calculate the range of the shot for each of the following launch angles.
a. 20 degrees
b. 30 degrees
c. 40 degrees
Vo=4
yo=4.5

Homework Equations

y = yo + Vo*sinθ*t - 1/2*g*t^2.
x = Vo*cosθ*t.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for the time in the first equation. I was careful to put in the height 4.5 for yo since it specifies that in the problem. I then tried to plug the time value into the second value. Then I repeated it for the other angles. Here is an example of what i did.
y=(4.5)+4(sin20)(t)-(1/2)(9.81)(t^(2))
y=4.5+1.36808t-4.9t^(2)
t=1.1081
x=4(cos20)(1.1081)
x=4.16509
For 30
For 40
Yet for some reason these answers are wrong. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
ama said:
I was careful to put in the height 4.5 for yo since it specifies that in the problem.
Note that the initial height was given in feet.

welcome to pf!

hi ama! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
ama said:
… from a height of 4.5 ft

y=(4.5)+4(sin20)(t)-(1/2)(9.81)(t^(2))

erm :redface:

feet! :biggrin:

lol. I am so really new to physics.

Your calculations appear to be correct, but it is important to note that the units for the initial speed (Vo) and initial height (yo) must be consistent. In this case, the initial speed is given in meters per second (m/s), but the initial height is given in feet (ft). To ensure accurate calculations, both values should be converted to the same unit, such as meters. Additionally, it is important to check for any rounding errors in your calculations that may affect the final answer.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject to gravity and air resistance. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v0^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object in the x-direction, while the vertical component refers to the motion in the y-direction. These components are independent of each other, meaning the motion in one direction does not affect the motion in the other direction.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This can be accounted for in calculations by using the drag coefficient and cross-sectional area of the object.