1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion Question

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a ball is thrown from the floor at an angle of 45 degrees and with an initial velocity of sqrt(6gD) where D is the height of the room. How far does the ball travel horizontally before hitting the ceiling?

2. Relevant equations

y=tan(a)x-gx^2/(2v^2cos(a)^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I let the height equal D

D=tan45x-gx^2/(2sqrt(6gD)^2cos(45)^2)

D=x-(x^2/6D) Solving this as a quadratic equation I (get 3+/-sqrt3)/2. But this answer makes no sense since it should be in terms of D. Where am I going wrong? thanks

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us how you got the answer that doesn't involve D using the quadratic equation.

4. Jul 1, 2011 #3
    0=-D+tan(45)x-gx^2/(2sqrt(6gD)^2cos(45)^2), tan45=2cos(45)^2=1 and g will cancel. that leaves this quad equation:

-D+x-x^2/(6D)

using the quad formula:

-x +/-(sqrt(1-4(-d)(2/6D))/(4/3)

which simplifies to 3+/-sqrt3)/2

5. Jul 1, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a little chaotic. The quad formula is (-b+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a). What are a, b and c in that formula? None of them have an 'x' in it. But the (2a) part has a D in it, doesn't it?

6. Jul 1, 2011 #5
    a=-(1/6D) b=1 c=-D

7. Jul 1, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright. So what's (-b+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a)? I think it has a D in it. The D's cancel in the numerator, not in the denominator.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook