1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Question

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    1. I think the most place I'm questioning my answer is the force part of it.

A golf club contacts a golf ball for 0.15 s at an angle to the horizontal and the ball subsequently strikes the ground a distance down the fairway. You choose an initial speed (between 25 m/s and 35 m/s) and the angle of projection (Between 15o and 22o) to calculate
    the time between the ball leaving the club and when it first touches the ground,
    the range of the ball down the fairway , and
    the average force exerted by the club on the ball.
    (assume the fairway is level horizontally. Mass of a golf ball is 0.046 kg)

2. Relevant equations

vh = 28.19 m/s cos 20 = vh/30
    vv = 10.26 m/s sin 20 = vv/30
    t = (0.0 m/s - 10.26 m/s) / -9.8
    t = -10.26 / -9.8
    t= 1.047 s

t= 2 (1.047)
    t= 2.094 seconds for the ball to touch the ground

dx = (28.19 m/s) (2.094 s)
    dx= 59.03 meteres

f=.046(-9.8)
    f=-.45N

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ball will take 2.094 seconds to touch the ball 59.03 meteres down the fairway forced at -.45N.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Okay, looks like you chose the initial angle to be 20 degrees and the initial speed to be 30. Then your vh and vy are correct.
    The time to touch down and range look good.

The F = ma = .046(-9.8) can't be right. The ball is not accelerating at 9.8 when hit by the club. Your are given that "club contacts a golf ball for 0.15 s". Perhaps you can find some way to calculate the force from that and its change in velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook