1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Questionhelp please!

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1

J89

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Inside a starship at rest on earth, a ball rolls off the top of a horizontal table and lands at a distance D from the foot of the table. This starship lands now at a planet called Planet X. The commander Captain Cudos rolls the same ball off the same table with the same initial speed as on earth and finds that it lands a distance of 2.76D from the foot of the table. What is the acceleration due to gravity on Planet X?

2. Relevant equations
    x=(V0cosa0)t
    y=(V0sina0)t - 1/2gt^2
    Vx=V0cosa0
    Vy=V0sina0-gt

3. The attempt at a solution

I made up the initial speed since it was not given and assumed a time. and used y=(V0sina0)t - 1/2gt^2...came out completely wrong :(

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2
    I made up a situation as well. I let the height of the table = 1.5 m and the horizontal velocity of the ball be 1 m/s. I then used the kinematic equation x= x(initial) + v(initial)t + .5at^2. I analyzed the vertical data for earth to see how long it was in the air, and got .55 sec. I then used the same kinematic for the x direction, except this time I used that time to see how far it went. I got .55 m. This is our "D" value. So, on planet x it travel 2.76 D. We get 1.52 m for the distance traveled for the ball. Since I choose a velocity horizontally of 1 m/s, that ball on planet x traveled for 1.52 sec before hitting the ground. Now, analyze the y direction using yet again the same kinematic and we can solve for a, or the acceleration due to gravity on planet x. Assuming i didn't mess up anything, it should be 1.3 m/s^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook