1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Questions, Please help!

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    1. A ball is thrown horizontally from a height of 22 m and hits the ground with a speed that is three times its initial speed. What was the initial speed?

2. A projectile is fired with initial speed v at an angle 30° above the horizontal from a height of 41 m above the ground. The projectile strikes the ground with a speed of 1.4v. Find v.

These are essentially the same problems right? Except for the fact that #2 has a vertical initial velocity. I tried using V^2=Vo^2+2ah but I got the answer wrong. Then I tried finding the time for the first one using y=1/2at^2 and then using v=vo+at and I got the wrong answer again.

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    heeling23

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Either approach, done correctly, would work. Post the details of what you did for more help. (Hint: Only the vertical component of motion is accelerated.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?