1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion: Range proof

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    Q. A projectile is fired with an initial speed [tex]V_0[/tex] at an angle [tex]\beta[/tex] to the horitontal. Show that it's range alnog a plane which it's self is inclined at an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] to the horitontal [tex]( \beta > \alpha)[/tex] is given by:
    R = \frac{(2{V_0}^2 cos \beta sin(\beta - \alpha )}{g {cos}^2\alpha}

A.So I`ve started off with
    [tex]\triangle x = (V_0 cos \beta) t[/tex]
    [tex]\triangle y = (V_0 sin \beta) t - frac{1}{2} g t^2[/tex]

[tex]\triangle x = cos \alpha[/tex]and [tex]\triangle y = sin \alpha[/tex]
    so i rearranged [tex]\triangle x[/tex] to get [tex]t = \frac{cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta}[/tex] and sub it into [tex]\triangle y[/tex]
    now i have
    \triangle y = (V_0 sin \beta)\frac{cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta} - \frac{1}{2} g ( \frac{cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta} )[/tex]

\triangle y= \frac {V_0 sin \beta cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta} - \frac{1}{2} g ( \frac{cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta})[/tex]
    sin \alpha = tan \beta cos \alpha - \frac {g {cos}^2 \alpha}{2 {V_0}^2 {cos}^2 \beta}
    now i`m stuck ... Any hint`s/tips would be great.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Somewhere there seems to be an 'R' missing.

Also, one of the latex expression needs \ in front of frac.
  4. Nov 1, 2005 #3

Gold Member

delta x = cos(alpha) ??
  5. Nov 1, 2005 #4
    alpha is the angle of the inclinded plane. it forms a right triangle with the horizontal and the point at which the projectile meets the inclinded plane. therefore delta x is equal to cos alpha.
  6. Nov 1, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

This is where the R is missing. They should be,

[tex]\triangle x = Rcos \alpha[/tex]and [tex]\triangle y = Rsin \alpha[/tex]
  7. Nov 1, 2005 #6
    ok so i`ve put the 'R' s in and get

R Sin \alpha = R tan \beta cos \alpha - \frac {R g {cos}^2 \alpha}{2 {V_0}^2 {cos}^2 \beta}

but i don`t see how this helps?
  8. Nov 2, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

You're almost there. But the R in the last term should be R²
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?