Projectile Motion Homework: Finding Time, Distance, and Speed

In summary, the problem involves a rock being thrown horizontally from a bridge with an initial speed of 32.6 m/s and a height of 32.0 meters above the river. The time in the air is 2.56 seconds and the horizontal distance to the point of impact is 83.31 meters. The speed at which the rock strikes the river is unknown. The equations used to solve the problem involve finding the resultant velocity using the Pythagorean theorem, the initial horizontal velocity, and the kinematic equations for projectile motion.
deaninator

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown horizontally from a bridge at a speed of 32.6 m/s. If the rock is 32.0 meters above the river at the moment of release, find how long the rock is in the air? 2.56 seconds. Find the horizontal distance to the point of impact from the point of release? 83.31 meters
Find the speed with which the rock strikes the river? I don't know

Homework Equations

V=Sq root of(vx^2 + vy^2)
Vox = Vx
X=VoxT

Vy=Voy + at
y=voyt + 1/2at^2
Vy^2 = Voy^2 + 2ay

The Attempt at a Solution

MY HINT:Apparently this is a vector problem. "Add" horizontal and vertical velocities. So i added the horizontal velocity that was 32.6...but what's the vertical velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
vx and vy are independent of each other. Considering only the y-direction, what can you say about the initial speed of the ball in that direction?

fss said:
vx and vy are independent of each other. Considering only the y-direction, what can you say about the initial speed of the ball in that direction?

Ok vertical velocity is 32.6 m/s...but how do i find the horizontal speed?

deaninator said:
Ok vertical velocity is 32.6 m/s...but how do i find the horizontal speed?

It's already given, neglecting air resistance. The speed at which the rock hits the ground will be the resultant vector of vx and vy.

fss said:
It's already given, neglecting air resistance. The speed at which the rock hits the ground will be the resultant vector of vx and vy.

If it is already given then what is it? Oh is it 12.5 m/s?

Last edited:
deaninator said:

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown horizontally from a bridge at a speed of 32.6 m/s.

There you go.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject only to the acceleration of gravity.

How does a rock move in projectile motion?

A rock will move in projectile motion when it is thrown or launched at an angle, experiencing both horizontal and vertical motion simultaneously.

What factors affect the distance a rock travels in projectile motion?

The factors that affect the distance a rock travels in projectile motion include the initial speed, the angle of launch, and air resistance.

Can a rock's trajectory in projectile motion be predicted?

Yes, a rock's trajectory in projectile motion can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles such as the kinematic equations and the laws of motion.

What real-life applications involve projectile motion of rocks?

Some real-life applications that involve projectile motion of rocks include sports such as shot put and javelin throwing, launching projectiles from catapults or cannons, and studying the flight of meteorites.