Projectile Motion skateboarder

In summary: So, to find the highest point, I'll just plug in 0 for Vy in the equation Vy^2 = Vyo^2 + 2ay y and solve for y? In summary, the skateboarder shoots off a ramp with a velocity of 5.30 m/s and an angle of 52.0° above the horizontal. The end of the ramp is 1.40 m above the ground. The highest point that the skateboarder reaches is 2.41 m above the ground and is located 1.16 m horizontally from the end of the ramp. To find the highest point, the equation Vy^2 = Vyo^2 + 2ay y can be used by plugging in 0
Physicsnoob90

Homework Statement

A skateboarder shoots off a ramp with a velocity of 5.30 m/s, directed at an angle of 52.0° above the horizontal. The end of the ramp is 1.40 m above the ground. Let the x-axis be parallel to the ground, the +y direction be vertically upward, and take as the origin the point on the ground directly below the top of the ramp.

(a) How high above the ground is the highest point that the skateboarder reaches?
(b) When the skateboarder reaches the highest point, how far is this point horizontally from the end of the ramp?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My setup

a = -9.9m/s^2
Vxo= Vocosø
Vyo= Vosinø

My steps:
1) used Vy^2 = Vyo^2+2ayY and had Vy = 0, my answer was 0.08899m

I don't know if i did this correct/right. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
That answer seems to be off by an order of magnitude. I would recheck your calculation. Also, the height that you calculated there is NOT the height the question is asking for. Can you tell the difference between the height you calculated and the height the question wants?

Would the height of the (a) be 1.40 m + x since the height of the ramp is 1.40 m above the ground? Also, I'm a little confuse on how to find the magnitude of this problem.

Yes, that is correct.

I'm unsure what you mean by magnitude. I was referring to your answer of 0.08899m. That answer is off by one factor of 10. I assume it was just an error when you entered in the value?

Also, do Vy=0? since the y direction is pointing upward

Vy means the velocity in the y direction. In this problem it equals 0 at one point in time and that is when it reaches its maximum height.

Ok thanks.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, typically in a curved path, due to the force of gravity. In the case of a skateboarder, it refers to the movement of the skateboard and the skater as they launch off a ramp or perform a trick.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the skateboarder's trajectory?

The angle of the ramp plays a significant role in determining the skateboarder's trajectory. The steeper the ramp, the higher the skateboarder will go and the longer their flight time will be. This is because the angle of the ramp affects the initial velocity and vertical acceleration of the skateboarder.

3. Can a skateboarder change their trajectory mid-air?

Yes, a skateboarder can change their trajectory in mid-air by using their body movements and the angle of their skateboard. For example, if the skateboarder wants to decrease their horizontal distance, they can tuck their body and angle their skateboard downwards. This will result in a shorter flight time and a lower horizontal distance.

4. How does air resistance impact a skateboarder's trajectory?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect a skateboarder's trajectory by slowing down their horizontal velocity. This is because as the skateboarder moves through the air, they encounter air molecules that create a force in the opposite direction of their motion. This force can cause the skateboarder to travel a shorter horizontal distance and land sooner than expected.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating a skateboarder's trajectory?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calculating a skateboarder's trajectory. These include air resistance, wind speed and direction, the weight and size of the skateboarder, and the angle and condition of the ramp. Additionally, human error in measuring and recording data can also impact the accuracy of the calculations.