Projectile motion (time taken)

In summary: Can you see how to get from that the term I wrote in post 16, and a similar one with sin instead of cos in the numerator?The term in post 16 is $$t_1-t_2 = (2v\over g) \left (\cos\theta-\sin\theta\right ) \\ R = {2v^2 \sin\theta\cos\theta\over g }$$The term in post 16 is $$t_1-t_2 = (2v\over g) \left (\cos\theta-\sin\theta\right ) \\ R = {2v^2 \sin\theta\cos
jisbon
Homework Statement
When 2 projectile motions are launched with velocity v, one at angle x and the other one at angle 90-x Derive an expression for the time difference in terms of range, x and g
Relevant Equations
R = v^2 sin2x / g
The below attempt will look messy, but I'm really kind of stuck as how to proceed on here. Thanks for any advice.

1565854044656.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You are making things difficult for yourself. ##S_{1,y} = S_{2, y}## is correct, but since they are both equal to zero, one factor of ##t_i## drops out...

BvU said:
You are making things difficult for yourself. ##S_{1,y} = S_{2, y}## is correct, but since they are both equal to zero, one factor of ##t_i## drops out...
Do I drop out t1 from the beginning where s1y=s2y, or do I drop it out at my last step?

You have $$S_{1,y} = 0 \quad \Rightarrow v \sin\theta_1\; t_1 + {\scriptstyle {1\over 2}}\,g\,t_1^2 = 0 \Rightarrow t_1 = ... $$I would drop the factor ##t_1## straightaway (it is the trivial one of two solutions for S=0).

BvU said:
You have $$S_{1,y} = 0 \quad \Rightarrow v \sin\theta_1\; t_1 + {\scriptstyle {1\over 2}}\,g\,t_1^2 = 0 \Rightarrow t_1 = ... $$I would drop the factor ##t_1## straightaway (it is the trivial one of two solutions for S=0).
1565874388283.png

Alright it looks cleaner now, but now I have to get rid of v. If I used vcos theta t1 = R , this means v = R/cos theta t1, which I suspect it will be problematic. Any ideas on proceeding on from here?

You have your relevant equation for R

And ##\sin(90^\circ-\theta)## looks really ugly to me :rolleyes: . Alternative ?

So does ##\sin (2\theta) ## :wink:

BvU said:
You have your relevant equation for R

And ##\sin(90^\circ-\theta)## looks really ugly to me :rolleyes: . Alternative ?

So does ##\sin (2\theta) ## :wink:
Hi, as per your hints:
1565925440364.png

I think I might have messed up as the final answer provided is drastically different from this. Any ideas on where I might have messed something up?

My route was to write v as a square root in the expression for ##t_1-t_2##

OK will do that and get back to you

BvU said:
My route was to write v as a square root in the expression for ##t_1-t_2##
Did you mean something like this?

Attachments

• 1565942642101.png
    1565942642101.png
    84 KB · Views: 203
jisbon said:
Did you mean something like this?
You seem to have gone wrong in the second line, using something like t=2vx (?)
I preferred the top half of your post #7, down to where you had cos2+...+sin2. With that hint, try to simplify differently.

haruspex said:
You seem to have gone wrong in the second line, using something like t=2vx (?)
I preferred the top half of your post #7, down to where you had cos2+...+sin2. With that hint, try to simplify differently.
In the cos^2 theta + sin^2 theta equation though, I have already subbed v in as the square root of... already though. The only thing I can proceed on seems to be only simplifying it which I have done

jisbon said:
as the final answer provided
Is information we don't have. Do we keep guessing or can you share it ?

Something with ##\left ( {\scriptstyle \sqrt{\tan\theta} }- {1\over \sqrt{\tan\theta}} \right )## perhaps ?

Yep with square root r/2g in front

Following up post #8:
$$t_1-t_2 = {2v\over g} \left (\cos\theta-\sin\theta\right ) \\ R = {2v^2 \sin\theta\cos\theta\over g }\Rightarrow v = \sqrt{Rg\over 2\sin\theta\cos\theta\ } $$
substitute and I get a ##\sqrt {2R/g}## in front, not ##\sqrt {R/2g}## ? [edited]

jisbon said:
The only thing I can proceed on seems to be only simplifying it which I have done
You simplified it in a particular way. I was suggesting a different simplification.

But now you have disclosed the desired form of the answer, it is clear that you would do better not to square t1-t2 in the first place. Just sub in the expression for v and simplify terms like ##\frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sqrt{\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta}}## (as @BvU was suggesting in post #8).

Last edited:
haruspex said:
You simplified it in a particular way. I was suggesting a different simplification.

But now you have disclosed the desired form of the answer, it is clear that you would do better not to square t1-t2 in the first place. Just sub in the expression for v and simplify terms like ##\frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sqrt{\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta}}## (as @BvU was suggesting in post #8).
BvU said:
Following up post #8:
$$t_1-t_2 = {2v\over g} \left (\cos\theta-\sin\theta\right ) \\ R = {2v^2 \sin\theta\cos\theta\over g }\Rightarrow v = \sqrt{Rg\over 2\sin\theta\cos\theta\ } $$
substitute and I get a ##\sqrt {2R/g}## in front, not ##\sqrt {R/2g}## ? [edited]

As per both of your instructions, I have done this:

1566006583341.png

Now I know this is more of a Maths question now rather than a physics question, but how do I get rid of the 2sin theta cos theta in this case? Thanks

jisbon said:
As per both of your instructions, I have done this:

View attachment 248293
Now I know this is more of a Maths question now rather than a physics question, but how do I get rid of the 2sin theta cos theta in this case? Thanks
Can you see how to get from that the term I wrote in post 16, and a similar one with sin instead of cos in the numerator?
What happens in each of those if you bring everything inside the square root?

haruspex said:
Can you see how to get from that the term I wrote in post 16, and a similar one with sin instead of cos in the numerator?

I'm not sure if its wrong, but I got the following:

From my previous post:

##t1 - t2## = ## 2\sqrt{\frac{R}{2sin\theta cos\theta}}\div\sqrt{g}\times(cos\theta-sin\theta)##

If I combine everything in square root, will this be the answer?

= ##2\sqrt{\frac{R(cos^2\theta-2sin\theta cos\theta+sin^2\theta)}{2sin\theta cos\theta g}}##

You have a tendency to make things complicated.

What is ##\cos\theta/\sqrt{\cos\theta\sin\theta} ## ?

What is ##\sin\theta/\sqrt{\cos\theta\sin\theta} ## ?

Oh, and a tip: use \sin and \cos and \tan in ##\LaTeX##

haruspex said:
jisbon said:
If I combine everything in square root, will this be the answer?
I tried to word that carefully ("each"). Let me try again...
Just consider one term, ## \frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sqrt{\cos\theta\sin\theta}}##, say. What happens to that if you bring everything inside the square root.

haruspex said:
I tried to word that carefully ("each"). Let me try again...
Just consider one term, ## \frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sqrt{\cos\theta\sin\theta}}##, say. What happens to that if you bring everything inside the square root.
I will get the following:
##\sqrt{\frac{cos^2\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}}## = ## \sqrt{\frac{cos\theta}{ sin\theta}}## = ##\sqrt (\cot\theta)##

The problem is I'm not sure how to simplify:

##2\sqrt{\frac{R}{2sin\theta cos\theta}}\div\sqrt{g}\times(cos\theta-sin\theta)##

Should I bring everything into the ##\frac{R}{2sin\theta cos\theta}##?

jisbon said:
The problem is I'm not sure how to simplify:
##2\sqrt{\frac{R}{2sin\theta cos\theta}}\div\sqrt{g}\times(cos\theta-sin\theta)##
Multiply out the parentheses, a(b-c)=ab-ac.

haruspex said:
Multiply out the parentheses, a(b-c)=ab-ac.
Multiplying will give me :

##2\sqrt{\frac{Rcos\theta}{2sin\theta cos\theta g}}-2\sqrt{\frac{Rsin\theta}{2sin\theta cos\theta g}}
=2\sqrt{\frac{R}{2sin\theta g}}-2\sqrt{\frac{R}{2 cos\theta g}}=2(\sqrt{\frac{R}{2sin\theta g}}-\sqrt{\frac{R}{2 cos\theta g}})##

jisbon said:

##2\sqrt{\frac{Rcos\theta}{2sin\theta cos\theta g}}-2\sqrt{\frac{Rsin\theta}{2sin\theta cos\theta g}}##
No, you forgot to do something when you moved the trig factors inside the square root.

jisbon said:

##2\sqrt{\frac{Rcos\theta}{2sin\theta cos\theta g}}-2\sqrt{\frac{Rsin\theta}{2sin\theta cos\theta g}}
=2\sqrt{\frac{R}{2sin\theta g}}-2\sqrt{\frac{R}{2 cos\theta g}}=2(\sqrt{\frac{R}{2sin\theta g}}-\sqrt{\frac{R}{2 cos\theta g}})##
Oops yep I forgot to square the first part, but is the second and third part correct?

jisbon said:
Oops yep I forgot to square the first part, but is the second and third part correct?
If you correct the first step the others change too, and you end up with the desired answer.

haruspex said:
If you correct the first step the others change too, and you end up with the desired answer.
##2\sqrt{\frac{Rcos^2\theta}{2sin\theta cos\theta g}}-2\sqrt{\frac{Rsin^2\theta}{2sin\theta cos\theta g}}
=2\sqrt{\frac{Rcos\theta}{2sin\theta g}}-2\sqrt{\frac{Rsin\theta}{2 cos\theta g}}=2(\sqrt{\frac{Rcot\theta}{2 g}}-\sqrt{\frac{Rtan\theta}{2g}})##

jisbon said:
Yep with square root r/2g in front
In your last posting you have ##2\sqrt{R\over 2g} = \sqrt{2R\over g}## in front !

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is the time taken for a projectile to reach its maximum height calculated?

The time taken for a projectile to reach its maximum height can be calculated using the formula t = v0/g, where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can the time taken for a projectile to reach its maximum height be changed?

Yes, the time taken can be changed by altering the initial velocity or the angle at which the projectile is launched. A higher initial velocity or a smaller launch angle will result in a shorter time taken to reach the maximum height.

4. How does air resistance affect the time taken for a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the time taken for a projectile by slowing it down, resulting in a longer time taken to reach its maximum height. However, this effect is usually negligible for small objects and at low speeds.

5. How does the time taken for a projectile to reach its maximum height relate to its horizontal displacement?

The time taken for a projectile to reach its maximum height is the same as the time taken for it to return to its initial height. This means that the horizontal displacement of a projectile is directly proportional to the time taken, assuming there is no air resistance.