1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion trampoline

1. May 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You jump straight upward off a trampoline with an initial velocity of 30 km/h. How high above the trampoline will you reach?

2. Relevant equations
    v2=v1 + a x t & v2(square root)=v1(square root) + 2ad

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried 30km/h into the second equation (knowing that acceleration in 9.81) and that the vertical at its peak is 0 but my number is no were near the answer key

do i have to convert km/h to m? and where did i go wrong

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

How can we tell where you went wrong when you don't show your work? You could be making a simple math error.

4. May 25, 2016 #3
    i did v2=0 v1=30km/hr + 2 x 9.81 (d)
    i square rooted 30 to get 900 + 2 x 9.81 to get 919.62 which is far off from the answer i need

5. May 25, 2016 #4
    to answer your other question, you have to make sure all your units agree. Km/h is not the same as m/s^2 (which is what the acceleration due to gravity is in, I am assuming). Units of length must agree and units of time must agree.

6. May 25, 2016 #5
    the answer is in meters, which is 3.54m. So i do not convert km to m i convert to degrees?

7. May 25, 2016 #6
    Convert km/h into the same units as your acceleration - so if using 9.81m/s2 convert km/h into m/s. You are only dealing with one direction so there isn't a reason to apply any conversion of degrees.

8. May 25, 2016 #7
    thanks i did D= v2 - V1/2 X a

so i did 0-8.3 (Square root)/2 x 9.81

then i did 68.8/19.62 got 3.51m

does that seem right ^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted