1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion - Volleyball

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A regulation volleyball court is L = 18.0 m long and the net is d = 2.43 m high. A volleyball player strikes the ball a height h = 1.61 m directly above the back line, and the ball's initial velocity makes an angle θ = 49° with respect to the ground. At what initial speed must the ball be hit so that it just barely makes it over the net? (Assume the volleyball is a point object and is hit so that its path is parallel to the sideline, as seen from directly above the court.)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am really lost at how to figure out this one without time. I tried using the following equation since you are given the height it has to reach, and the acceleration (-9.8) and I think the final velocity would be zero:
    [tex]
    v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x
    [tex]

but it doesn`t seem to work. I am thinking I have to calculate the time somehow, but I really can`t figure out how to go about doing that. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It's not quite so simple.

First you need to determine the Vertical and Horizontal components of velocity based on the 49 degrees.

Then you can develop the x and y motion equations using the 18 m as the range and the height of the net as the height at the instant of clearance.

The equations

[tex] Y_{net} = Y_{serve} +V_y*t -1/2*g*t^2[/tex]

[tex] X_{to.net} = V_x*t [/tex]

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    Ok, how though, do I find the time? Or should I solve for t in the x equation and sub it in?

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You should have equations with only initial velocity and time unknown.

Eliminate 1 and solve for the other.

6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    Ok so I tried that, and I think I have an error somewhere because it doesn't work. Here is what I did:

t = 9/(Vsin49)

2.43 = 1.61 + Vcos49t - 0.5*9.8t^2
    0.82 = Vcos49 * 9/Vsin49 - 4.9 * (9/Vsin49)^2

V = 7.9 m/s

I can't seem to find what I did wrong though..

7. Sep 29, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I calculate your equation differently.

Using Sin49 = .755 and Cos49=.656
    I get: t=11.92/v

Substituting:
    .82 = .656(11.92) - 4.9(11.92/V)2
    .82 = 7.82 - 4.9(11.92/V)2
    7 = 4.9(11.92/V)2
    V2 = 4.9(11.92)2/7 = 99.46
    V = 9.97 m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?