Projectile motion with limited variables to use, help

In summary: Therefore the acceleration vector points down, and the "a" in the formula is negative.In summary, the problem involves finding the initial velocity of a projectile launched at an angle of 22 degrees with a starting height of 0.51 meters and a range of 4.651 meters. The x and y components of the motion must be separated and kinematic equations can be used to solve for the initial velocity. The final displacement in the y direction is -0.51 meters due to the path of the projectile. There is a slight error in the equations provided, but the explanation by Atticus and correction by another user can help in solving the problem accurately.
xwater

Homework Statement

The starting hight is .51 metres above the ground, and the range is 4.651 metres. the angle of launch is 22 degrees above the horazontal. i need to find the initial velocity, and this was all i have to work with.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think it might be impossible to solve...i think you would at least need speed in that equation (initial velocity)

Welcome to PF!

Hi xwater ! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Start by calling the speed v, and writing (separate) equations for the x and y components of the motion.

What do you get? :smile:

hey, thanks for the replies, but I've tried making the x and y seperate, and i can't solve this. i end up with only a displacement for the x, and accelleration (gravity) and a displacement for the y. with anyone more variable I'm sure i could solve this..errgg :( lol

Ok, start by breaking the initial velocity into two components.

In the x direction you have vcos22. In the y direction you have vsin22.

Now start using kinematics.

The x direction is simple. For a total flight time t,

t = 4.651/vcos22

The y direction is slightly more complicated. The projectile's path goes up, then back down to where it started and then continues for another 0.51 meters. This means its final displacement is 0.51 meters below its initial position. So,

-0.51 = vsin22t - 0.5gt^2

But we know t from before.

-0.51 = vsin22*4.651/vcos22 - 0.5g(4.651/vcos22)^2

-0.51 = tan22*4.651 - 0.5g(4.651/vcos22)^2

-0.51 - tan22*4.651 = - 0.5g(4.651/vcos22)^2

[-0.51 - tan22*4.651]/(-0.5g) = (4.651/vcos22)^2

And I think you can see where it goes from there.

The explanation by Atticus is nice and correct! :) I second it! :)

Thanks a ton guys! Atticus, you blew my mind..lol. Now i just got to go do it myself :)

I couldn't help but notice...

Shouldn't "-0.51 = vsin22t - 0.5gt^2" be -0.51 = vsin22t + 0.5gt^2?

The formula is d = Vit + 1/2 at^2 is it not?

Taterskater said:
I couldn't help but notice...

Shouldn't "-0.51 = vsin22t - 0.5gt^2" be -0.51 = vsin22t + 0.5gt^2?

The formula is d = Vit + 1/2 at^2 is it not?

In a problem where the net acceleration is in a direction opposite to the positive direction you chose, the "a" in your formula becomes negative.

In other words, when you move in the positive direction (in this case upwards) you slow down, when you move in the negative direction (downwards) you speed up.

1. What are the variables involved in projectile motion?

The variables involved in projectile motion are initial velocity, angle of launch, acceleration due to gravity, time of flight, and range.

2. How is projectile motion affected by changing the angle of launch?

The angle of launch affects the trajectory and range of a projectile. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and a shorter range, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and a longer range.

3. Can you calculate the maximum height of a projectile with limited variables?

Yes, the maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory and range of a projectile by slowing it down and changing its direction. It becomes more significant at higher velocities and for objects with larger surface areas.

5. Is there a way to predict where a projectile will land without knowing all the variables?

Yes, if the initial velocity and angle of launch are known, the range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v2sin2θ)/g. However, knowing all the variables will provide a more accurate prediction.