1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Word Problem

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From the roof of tower 1, a theif throws a money bag to an accomplice on the roof of tower 2, which is just west of tower 1. The two towers are separated by a mall. The defense attorney contends that in order to reach the roof of tower 2, the defendant would have had to throw the money bag with a maximum velocity of no more than 5m/s. Tower 1 is 250 m high, tower 2 is 100m high and the mall is 20m wide. How will you advise the prosecuting attorney?

2. Relevant equations

The big 5 equations
    v= d/t
    Cosine Law
    Sine Law
    Pythorean

3. The attempt at a solution

First attempt:
    I used calculations assuming a 45 degree angle to the horizontal, then determined time using a big 5 equation. I then used this time to determine that the money traveled a total distance of 31.5 m.

Second attempt
    d = 1/2 a t^2
    -150 = .5(-9.81) t^2

5.53 sec is the time to fall from tower 1 to 2

d = vt
    20 = v(5.53)
    v = 3.61 sec is horizontal speed needed to get to tower 2 in 5.53 sec

Am I on the right track for either attempt?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Pretty much. If you have 5.5 sec in the air before it reaches 150 m, then to go 20 m in that time is plenty to spare if they can throw at 5 m/s.

Try beaten by parents as a child for a defense instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook