Checking My Work: Did I Answer Part e) Correctly?

• Thread starter Bolter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, you can use conservation of energy and Newtons 2nd law to find the trajectory of a projectile.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Working out initial speed and inclination of projectile
Relevant Equations
SUVAT equations
Have had a try at answering this question, and want to particularly know if I had done part e) correctly

Screenshot 2019-12-20 at 13.57.37.png

Here is my workings from the previous parts as I need to use some prior values that I have obtained before to do part e)

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

For the last part, there were 2 ways that I went about it. First one was using conservation of energy and the second was to use Newtons 2nd law and SUVAT. Both methods gave the same result so I guess that is alright.

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3518.JPG

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Under c) did you notice it is twice the answer for b) ?
I miss f) :wink:
The last part went fine too.

Your work is very neat and impeccable !
(but my index finger hurts from scrolling up and down :rolleyes:)

BvU said:
Hi,

Under c) did you notice it is twice the answer for b) ?
I miss f) :wink:
The last part went fine too.

Your work is very neat and impeccable !
(but my index finger hurts from scrolling up and down :rolleyes:)

Yes I did know that the value of c) is double of b).
Since the trajectory of the projectile is symmetrical about the halfway point (maximum height) on either side.

So time taken to reach from ground to max height is the same as time taken to reach max height to ground. In fact it's just a simple model of a quadratic curve. I just wanted to clarify myself by using SUVAT here :oldbiggrin:

Whoops I did miss part f) :doh: That must be a parabola, right?

Haha sorry about the long scrolling. My apologies!

Likes BvU
A couple of useful formula for this type of problem where horizontal range (R) and maximum height (H) of a projectile are given:
$$tanθ=\frac{4H}{R}$$
$$R=\frac{V^2sin(2θ)}{g}\text{ or }V=\sqrt{\frac{Rg}{sin(2θ)}}$$

Bolter said:
Haha sorry about the long scrolling. My apologies!
Your work is indeed neat and easier to read than other students who try to post pictures of their work, thanks.

But it still would be good for you to learn to use LaTeX to write your math equations here. And you can print out those equations to turn in as your homework in many circumstances. Here is a nice tutorial for how top use LaTeX:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

:-)

...and don't forget the LaTeX Guide, a link for which appears just below the bottom left corner of the edit window.

Likes berkeman

1. How can I check if I answered part e) correctly?

To check if you answered part e) correctly, you should first review the question and make sure you fully understand what is being asked. Then, go through your solution step by step to see if you followed the correct procedure. You can also compare your answer to the answer key or ask a colleague to review your work.

2. What should I do if I realize I made a mistake while checking my work for part e)?

If you realize you made a mistake while checking your work for part e), don't panic. Go back to your solution and try to identify where you made the mistake. Correct the mistake and then double check your work again before submitting.

3. Are there any tips for checking my work for part e) more efficiently?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you check your work for part e) more efficiently. One tip is to use a calculator or computer program to double check any calculations. Another tip is to read the question and your solution out loud to catch any errors in logic or wording. Lastly, take breaks while checking your work to avoid becoming fatigued and making more mistakes.

4. Is it important to check my work for part e) even if I am confident in my answer?

Yes, it is important to check your work for part e) even if you are confident in your answer. This helps to ensure that you did not make any small errors that could affect your final answer. Checking your work also helps to reinforce your understanding of the problem and solution.

5. Should I check my work for part e) before or after checking my work for the other parts of the question?

It is recommended to check your work for part e) after checking your work for the other parts of the question. This allows you to have a better understanding of the problem and solution as a whole, making it easier to identify any errors in part e). However, if you notice a mistake in part e) while checking your work for the other parts, you should address it immediately.