Projectile Motion: Initial Speed and Maximum Height Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about a projectile reaching a maximum height of 50 meters and the person asking questions about its initial speed and height at a certain time. They are also discussing the use of kinematic equations and the constant acceleration within the problem.
john stewart
A vertically moving object projectile reaches a maximum height of 50 meters above its starting position

What is the projectiles initial speed?
What is the height above the starting point at 3.3 seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi John. Welcome to Physics Forums.

We ask that you show your attempt at a solution or at least explain why you are having difficulty with the problem.

Please see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

I have been overwelmed by all the kenimatic formulas and I'm not sure which one to use or even how to use some of them

Ok a hint...

What does the object have at the top that it didn't have at the bottom? Where did it get it from?

john stewart said:
I have been overwelmed by all the kenimatic formulas and I'm not sure which one to use or even how to use some of them

So, I assume that you are trying to use kinematic equations to solve the problem rather than energy concepts or some other method. Is this true? If so, can you state any specific kinematic equations that you think might be useful? Is the acceleration constant in this problem?

1. What is projectile motion in the y-axis?

Projectile motion in the y-axis refers to the vertical motion of an object that is influenced by gravity. It is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it.

2. What factors affect the y-axis motion of a projectile?

The y-axis motion of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the height and distance that the object will travel in the vertical direction.

3. How is the velocity of a projectile in the y-axis calculated?

The velocity of a projectile in the y-axis can be calculated using the formula vy = v0y + gt, where vy is the final velocity, v0y is the initial velocity in the y-axis, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time taken.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile in the y-axis motion?

The maximum height reached by a projectile in the y-axis motion is determined by the initial velocity and the angle of launch. It can be calculated using the formula h = (v0y)^2/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v0y is the initial velocity in the y-axis, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the y-axis motion of a projectile?

Air resistance can have a small effect on the y-axis motion of a projectile, but it is usually negligible. In most cases, the effect of air resistance can be ignored when calculating the trajectory of a projectile in the y-axis.