1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion

1. Sep 22, 2006 #1
    Hi, I am working with a juggling simulation to better my understanding of projectile motion. However, I encountered a slight problem.

To my understanding, an initial y velocity and an initial x velocity are independent of each other. A y-velocity affects the height of how high the ball travels in the air whereas the x-velocity affects the horizontal displacement of the ball (to the other hand of the juggler).

So, let's say I want the ball to be juggled higher, why does it seem to also affect the x-velocity (as I observed in the simulation) when it's supposed to be independent of the height (y-axis)? The higher inital y-velocity I input, the higher the ball goes. So why does the inital x-velocity need to decrease? Isn't it supposed to stay the same?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2

Velocity is a vector. In your case it is decomposed in x and y components. If the modulus of your vector is constant, increasing one component will decrease the other.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?