Calculating Launch Velocity for a Motorbike Jump

In summary, the problem involves a rider on a motorbike attempting to clear a gap of 40m with a flat landing situated 15m below the horizontal line of the tip of the ramp. The ramp is at an angle of 53 degrees above the horizontal. The question asks for the velocity the rider must have when launching off the ramp. Despite having a picture and some given information, it seems that there is not enough information to solve the problem. Additional help may be needed.
QuantumKing
some guy on a moterbike rides up a ramp to clear a gap of 40m, where the flat landing is, situated 15m below the horizontal line of the tip of the ramp. The ramp is at an angle of 53degrees above the horizontal. what velocity must the rider lift off the ramp with?

I serioulsy have no ideas on where to start with this, I've tried several different scribbles and got nowhere. Some help would be appreciated! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a picture and then write down what you know (given from problem) and then write down what you need to know. Hopefully this will get you started in the right direction.

I have a picture, and i know the info. but it seems to me like there isn't enough info, i can't work with it.

1. What is motorbike projectile motion?

Motorbike projectile motion refers to the movement of a motorbike through the air when it is launched off of a ramp or other surface. It follows the same principles as any other projectile motion, such as that of a thrown ball.

2. What factors influence the trajectory of a motorbike in projectile motion?

The trajectory of a motorbike in projectile motion is influenced by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can be manipulated to change the distance and height of the motorbike's flight.

3. How can the initial velocity of a motorbike be increased for a longer flight in projectile motion?

The initial velocity of a motorbike can be increased by increasing the speed of the motorbike before it reaches the ramp, or by using a steeper ramp. This will give the motorbike more horizontal velocity, allowing it to travel further before landing.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a motorbike in projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the trajectory of a motorbike in projectile motion. As the motorbike moves through the air, it experiences resistance that slows it down and changes its trajectory. This is why streamlined motorbikes or those with fairings are used in events such as motorcycle racing, as they reduce air resistance and allow for faster speeds and longer flights.

5. What is the maximum height a motorbike can reach in projectile motion?

The maximum height a motorbike can reach in projectile motion depends on the initial velocity and angle of launch. In a vacuum, the maximum height would be reached at a 90-degree angle of launch. However, in real-life scenarios with air resistance, the maximum height will be less than this. It can be calculated using the formula h = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.