Velocity of projectile launcher

In summary, the conversation is about a physics experiment where a projectile launcher was used to fire a ball at a piece of carbon paper. The goal is to find the initial velocity and the known information includes vertical acceleration, horizontal displacement, delta Y, and theta. The conversation also includes a suggestion to use the formulae provided in the intro physics section to solve the problem and a suggestion to work backwards to find the initial velocity. It is also mentioned that there is one equation and one variable to solve for the unknown initial velocity.
Elliian
I recently did an expirement for my physics class in which we used a projectile launcher to fire a ball across a distance, where it would hit a piece of carbon paper.

I've been asked to solve for the initial velocity, (Vi), and the only known information is:
Vertical Acceleration = -9.81 m/s^2
Horizontal Displacement = 3.885m
Delta Y (Height Ball was launched above the ground) = 1.015m
Theta = 9 degrees

I'm not asking anyone to solve this for me, but I'm really stuck. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the steps I must do, or even better, an equation that I could use to solve this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to understand the problem if you were to do the problem backwards first... Assume some sort of initial velocity, then do the calculations to find out where the ball would land. Look at how you can work that problem backwards to find the initial velocity; then go ahead and do so for the data you have.

I'd rather not do a 'trial and error' approach, as I do have to show real work.

so, you have a parabola for the projectile, correct?

[tex]y=\frac{1}{2}gt^2+v_{y0}t+y_0[/tex]
notice that
[tex]v_{x0}t=x[/tex]

make substitution and get rid of the t.

now, you have two points and you know the last coefficient of a parabola, and you know theta. what is the other point on the parabola that you know x and y?

you'll have one equation, one variable, just solve it.

Last edited:
Elliian said:
I'd rather not do a 'trial and error' approach, as I do have to show real work.

Noone suggested such an approach. The link from post #2 should pretty much solve your problem.

1. What is the velocity of a projectile launcher?

The velocity of a projectile launcher refers to the speed at which a projectile is launched into the air. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

2. How is the velocity of a projectile launcher calculated?

The velocity of a projectile launcher is calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the projectile is launched.

3. Does the mass of the projectile affect the velocity of a projectile launcher?

Yes, the mass of the projectile does affect the velocity of a projectile launcher. The heavier the projectile, the slower its velocity will be due to its greater inertia.

4. What factors can affect the velocity of a projectile launcher?

The velocity of a projectile launcher can be affected by factors such as the angle of launch, air resistance, and the type of projectile being used. Other factors can include the force applied by the launcher and any external forces acting on the projectile.

5. Why is the velocity of a projectile launcher important in scientific experiments?

The velocity of a projectile launcher is important in scientific experiments because it allows researchers to control and measure the speed at which a projectile is launched. This can help in determining the effects of different variables on the projectile's motion and can provide valuable data for further analysis and research.