1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    A quarterback is set up to throw the football to a receiver who is running with a constant velocity [tex]v_{r}[/tex] directly away from the quarterback and is now a distance "D" away from the quarterback. The quarterback figures that the ball must be thrown at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] to the horizontal and he estimates that the receiver must catch the ball a time interval [tex]t_{c}[/tex] after it is thrown to avoid having opposition players prevent the receiver from making the catch. In the following you may assume that the ball is thrown and caught at the same height above the level playing field. Assume that the y coordinate of the ball at the instant it is thrown or caught is y= 0 and that the horizontal position of the quaterback is x= 0.
    Use "g" for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, and use the pictured inertial coordinate system when solving the problem.

Find [tex]v_{0y}[/tex], the vertical component of the velocity of the ball when the quarterback releases it. express [tex]v_{0y}[/tex] only in terms of [tex]t_{c}[/tex] and "g"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

What have you tried so far? What is causing you trouble?
  4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    I just dont understand wut its asking...im so use to something like this saying the answer is [tex]v_{0y}[/tex] = sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]v_{0}[/tex]
  5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Don't you have some relevant equations for projectile motion? Hint: take a look at the first item in my footer.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  6. Oct 4, 2007 #5
    How to plot graph of projectile motion between angle and range in Matlab?
    I mean that what will be the coding for the graph between angle and range of any projectile?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?