1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

A missile is fired at a target from the origin O, with the velocity vector, t seconds after it was fired, given by [itex]\overrightarrow v (t) = [u\cos \theta ]\overrightarrow i + [u\sin \theta - gt]\overrightarrow j[/itex], where u, theta and g are constants. The target is moving with velocity [itex]v\overrightarrow i[/itex] and at the instant the missile is fired, the target is at position [itex]h\overrightarrow j[/itex].

Prove that for the missile to hit the target [itex]u^2 \ge v^2 + 2gh[/itex]

Alright, from the information given, ive come up with the following set of displacement equations:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \overrightarrow r _{missile} (t) = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {ut\cos \theta } \\
    {ut\sin \theta - 0.5gt^2 } \\
    \end{array}} \right) \\
    \overrightarrow r _{t\arg et} (t) = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {vt} \\
    h \\
    \end{array}} \right) \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

For the missile to hit the target, both components of the motion must be equal for the same value of t; that is:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    ut\cos \theta = vt \\
    ut\sin \theta - 0.5gt^2 = h \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Now, the first equation is only true for t=0, unless [itex]u\cos \theta = v[/itex], which i interpreted as a requirement for the collision to occur. From the second equation, the time when the vertical components of displacement are equal is give by:

[tex]
    t = \frac{{u\sin \theta \mp \sqrt {u^2 \sin ^2 \theta - 2gh} }}{g}
    [/tex]

Now its here where im not really sure what to do. A hint would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

danago

Gold Member

Ahh, the second i posted this i realised what to do. Since [itex]u\cos \theta = v[/itex], it can be shown that [itex]\sin \theta = \frac{{\sqrt {u^2 - v^2 } }}{u}[/itex], and then i just sub that into the quadratic discriminant and then set it to be greater than or equal to zero. Sound right?

Thanks anyway :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?