Projectile Motion: High Jumper Take Off Velocity & Distance from Bar

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary speed and take off distance for a high jumper to clear a bar at 1.8m using a western roll technique. The center of gravity, located 1.1m above the ground, plays a crucial role in the jump. The calculations involve kinematics equations and trigonometric functions to determine the initial velocity and the distance from the bar. The angle of depression also needs to be taken into consideration when resolving the velocity into the x- and y-directions.
pooface

Homework Statement

A high jumper whose center of gravity is 1.1m above the ground h been clearing 1.8m using a western roll in which the take off velocity is at an angle 60deg with the horizontal. With what speed must be take off? how far back from the bar must he take off?

I understand the question except for the 1.1m above ground center of gravity.
What significance does this have?

Homework Equations

kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't proceed until I understand what the center of gravity is about.

Physics news on Phys.org
His centre of gravity must move up and over the bar to make the jump

Would it be alright if i subtracted 1.1m from 1.8m and then began my calculations?

Yes, that's fine

calculations
Vfy^2=Voy^2+2(-9.81)S
0=(VoSin60)^2 + 2(-9.81)(0.7)
Vo = 4.279m/s -- is the initial velocity he must take off with.

0.7 = -0.5(-9.81)t^2
t= 0.3778secs -- is the time it takes to reach the highest point i.e. the bar

x=voxt
x=4.279cos60(0.3778)
x=0.808m -- the distance away from the bar he must jump

looks reasonable, can someone concur?

another question i have is, if an object is directly projected downwards at an angle with the horizontal, which is the angle of depression.

Do i use this angle for Vox and Voy or 90 minus that angle?

Last edited:
is that correct or do i have to minus by 90?

Your calculations look correct to me.

another question i have is, if an object is directly projected downwards at an angle with the horizontal, which is the angle of depression.

Do i use this angle for Vox and Voy or 90 minus that angle?

You shouldn't liberally apply cosines and sines without thinking about what you're doing. Remember, the whole point of using the trig functions is to resolve a vector into mutually perpendicular axes, in this case, to resolve the velocity into the x- and y-directions. Draw a diagram with the velocity and the angle, then axes representing the x- and y-axes, and see what trig functions you need to resolve it into a given direction.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity and without any other external forces. It follows a curved path called a parabola, and its motion is affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the force of gravity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range of a projectile is R = (v2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How is the maximum height of a projectile calculated?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = (v2 * sin2(θ)) / (2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object along the horizontal axis, while the vertical component refers to the motion along the vertical axis. The horizontal component remains constant, while the vertical component is affected by the force of gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object as it moves through the air. This can cause the object to have a shorter range and a lower maximum height compared to a perfect projectile with no air resistance. In some cases, air resistance can also change the shape of the projectile's trajectory.