1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations
    y = y0 - 1/2gt^2 + voy*t

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well there are two methods that I used for solving this, but I think only one is correct:

First, the correct method:
    1) Find the time at the top of the parabola and use the distance from the hoop to determine the time.
    12 = 5 - 16t^2 + v0*t*(5/13)
    x = v0*(12/13)*t = 24
    t = .433s

v0 is 60 ft/s

2) Find the time at y = 3 (to hit the second slope)
    0 = 5-3 - 16t^2 + vo(5/13)*t
    t = 1.524s

3) Find h
    x = vo(12/13)*t = h + 24 --> h = 60.4 ft

I think everything I did is correct, however, my TA in lecture today said that the v0 should be between 50 ft/s - 60 ft/s and h should be between 40 ft and 47 ft. However, he also said that he didn't quite know how to get the correct solution.... (he was looking at the solutions manual)

I get 60ft/s but my h is 60.4 ft however, if I use the 2nd method I get within the range, but isn't my method correct and the second method wrong?

method 2:
    12 = 5 - 16t^2 + v0*t*(5/13)
    v = vo(5/13) - gt
    v = 0 since it's at the top of it's path
    v0 = gt * 13/5
    v = 55 ft/s ...
    t = .661 s
    But isn't that wrong because if I plug in .661 s into x = vo(12/13)*t I get ~33ft, whereas it should be 24 ft at the top of the path..

Can anyone advise me on which method is correct?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted