Solving for Initial Velocity: When Angles, Distances are Given

In summary, when given the angle, horizontal distance, and vertical distance, there is no one equation that can solve for the initial velocity. It is necessary to use multiple equations and consider the specific situation. In the given example, the range equation was used, but it may not be the most appropriate equation for the problem. It is important to provide specific information and ask for help in order to properly apply equations and solve for the initial velocity, time, and components of velocity.
princesspriya

Homework Statement

how can you find the initial velocity if the angle, horizontal distance and the vertical distance is given?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

every equation i use gives me a different answer so i have no clue which one is correct

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will usually need to use more than one equation. Based on the situation some will be more useful than others. It would be best if you posted a specific question because we have no idea what concepts you may not be applying properly to your problem.

a ball player hits a home run and the baseball just clears a wall 21 m high located 130m from home plate. The ball is hit at an angle of 35 degrees to the horizontal and air resistance is negligible. Assume the ball is hit at a height of 1 m above the ground. What is the initial speed, time and the components of velocity of the ball?

- to find the initial velocity i used the range equation to solve for Vi since i have the range which is 130m. but the answer i got is wrong.

1. What is the formula for solving for initial velocity when angles and distances are given?

The formula for solving for initial velocity when angles and distances are given is:

v0 = d/t * 1/sin(2θ)

Where v0 is the initial velocity, d is the distance, t is the time, and θ is the angle of launch.

2. How do you determine the angle of launch in order to solve for initial velocity?

The angle of launch can be determined by using the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to find the angle based on the given distance and height of the projectile.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of projectile motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of projectile motion as long as the angle and distance of the initial launch are known.

4. What are the units for the initial velocity when using this formula?

The units for initial velocity will depend on the units used for distance and time. If the distance is measured in meters and time is measured in seconds, then the units for initial velocity will be meters per second (m/s).

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula for solving initial velocity?

One limitation to using this formula is that it assumes there are no external forces acting on the projectile, such as air resistance. It also assumes a constant acceleration due to gravity and a flat surface for the projectile to travel on.