1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Projectile motion

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do you calculate the projectile motion of an object in the following question?

John is a long jumper. He runs down a track, and jumps as far as he can horizonally. Her take-off velocity is 6.4 m s-1 at 20 degrees from the horizontal.

a) show that the horizontal component of her initial velocity is 6.0m s-1

b) Show that the vertical component of her initial velocity is 2.2 m s-1

c) Explain why the horizontal component of her velocity is constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that for a) you use vectors to solve it but I don't know what to do after that and for the others I have no idea what to do so any help is appreciated
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… right-angled triangle …

Hi Paulo! :smile:

For a) and b), draw a right-angled triangle.

Can you now see what combination of horizontal and vertical speeds makes 6.4 m s-1 at 20 degrees from the horizontal? :smile:

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3
    Initial velocity: 6.4 m/s

a)Horizontal component= 6.4 * cosine20 degrees.
    >>6 m/s.
    b)Vertical component= 6.4 * sine 20 degrees.
    >>2.2 m/s.
    c)Since the velocity is constant due to the fact that there are no external forces acting in the horizontal direction, if you neglect air resistance, therefore, the horizontal velocity of a projectile is constant.

Remember these are just for your reference.You must first follow the steps as mentioned by "tiny tim" and then look up the analytical method i have solved for you.

5. Mar 21, 2008 #4
    Thanks guys for being so helpful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?