Calculating Speed of Golf Ball After Contact

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed of a golf ball after contact, given its mass, average force, and time interval. The formula Ft=mv is used, resulting in a speed of 55.6 m/s. The conversation also mentions the possibility of air resistance being neglected and the assumption of a level course.
jinman

Homework Statement

i hit a golf ball of mass 0.045kg with an avg. Force of 2.5x10^3 N over a short time interval of 1.0 x 10^-3 s at an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the horizontal. neglect air resistance and assume a level course.

What is the speed of the ball immediately after contact?

Homework Equations

Ft=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

v=Ft/m

2500x.001/.045

v=55.6m/s?

If that is the wrong answer why? If that is right can someone further explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
jinman said:

Homework Statement

i hit a golf ball of mass 0.045kg with an avg. Force of 2.5x10^3 N over a short time interval of 1.0 x 10^-3 s at an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the horizontal. neglect air resistance and assume a level course.

What is the speed of the ball immediately after contact?

Homework Equations

Ft=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

v=Ft/m

2500x.001/.045

v=55.6m/s?

If that is the wrong answer why? If that is right can someone further explain it to me?
It looks fine to me. What do you need explaining?

why would you think it's wrong?

Hrmmm. I thought it would be Harder. Thank you!

jinman said:
Hrmmm. I thought it would be Harder. Thank you!
No problem :smile:

Don't forget to mark the thread as 'solved' when you're done.

1. How is the speed of a golf ball after contact calculated?

The speed of a golf ball after contact can be calculated by dividing the distance the ball travels by the time it takes for the ball to travel that distance. This calculation gives the average speed of the ball in miles per hour (mph).

2. What factors affect the speed of a golf ball after contact?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of a golf ball after contact, including the speed of the club head, the angle of the club face, the type of golf ball being used, and external factors such as wind and temperature.

3. How does the type of golf ball impact the speed after contact?

The type of golf ball being used can have a significant impact on the speed of the ball after contact. Different types of golf balls have different compression levels and dimple patterns, which can affect the ball's flight and speed. Higher compression balls tend to travel faster, while softer balls may travel at a slower speed.

4. Can the speed of a golf ball after contact be increased?

Yes, the speed of a golf ball after contact can be increased by using a more powerful club, adjusting the angle of the club face, or using a higher compression golf ball. Additionally, improving your swing technique and hitting the ball in the sweet spot of the club face can also increase the speed of the ball.

5. How does the speed of a golf ball after contact affect its distance?

The speed of a golf ball after contact is a crucial factor in determining the distance the ball will travel. The faster the ball is traveling, the farther it will go. This is why professional golfers focus on maximizing their ball speed to achieve longer drives on the course.