Solving Questions on Throwing a Baseball to Hit a Target

• Thread starter Sassenav22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baseball
In summary, the problem involves throwing a baseball to hit a target on the ground from the base of a 25m building. The first part of the problem asks for the velocity needed to throw the ball horizontally, which can be solved using the equations for displacement and velocity. The second part asks for the velocity needed to throw the ball at a 45 degree angle from the horizontal, which can be solved by setting the x and y velocities equal to each other and solving for the initial velocity. The final part asks for the horizontal component of the initial velocity, which can be found using the cosine of the angle and the horizontal velocity component.
Sassenav22
1. Homework Statement

You throw a baseball to hit a target on the ground 10m from the base of a building 25m in height. (a) With what velocity must you throw the baseball if it is to leave the hand horizontally? (b) with what velocity mut you throw the baseball if it is to leave the hand at a angle of 45 up from the horizontal? (c0 What is the horizontal component of the initial value o the velocity in case (b)?

Homework Equations

(a) s=ut +1/2at^2
v=d/t

(b) i have no clue

(c) Vx(cos theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)s=ut+1/2at^2
25=0+ 1/2(9.8)t^2
25= 4.9t^2
25/4.9=t^2
t=√5.10
t=2.26s

v=d/t
= 10/2.26s
=4.42m/s

(b) i don't know can someone point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is thrown at 45° then Vx = Vy.

That means you can take your x and y equations and solve more easiily.

25 = Vy*t - ½gt²

10 = Vx*t

With Vx = Vy and t = 10/V ...

so its:
25=4.42(cos45)(t)+0.5(9.8)t^2

and solve for t

then use v=d/t

and find the velocity?

I'd just stick 10/V into the y equation for t and solve for Vx,Vy directly.

Then Vo = V/sin45 = Vx(√ 2)

i am confused

Since -25 = Vy*t - ½gt²

And |Vx| = |Vy| and

Vx = 10/t

Then Vy = 10/t or t = 10/Vy

Hence -25 = Vy*10/Vy - ½*g*(10/Vy)²

Simplifying 70V² = 100*g = 980

Vy = Vx = 3.74 m/s

Vo = 5.29 m/s

1. How can I improve my accuracy when throwing a baseball?

To improve your accuracy, it is important to focus on your throwing mechanics. This includes proper grip, arm angle, and follow through. Practicing consistently and working on your muscle memory can also help improve accuracy.

2. What is the best way to aim when throwing a baseball?

Aiming for a specific target can be challenging, but a good technique is to use the dominant eye to focus on the target while keeping the non-dominant eye open to maintain depth perception. It can also be helpful to visualize a straight line from your hand to the target.

3. How do I adjust my throw for different distances?

The key to adjusting your throw for different distances is to vary the strength and speed of your throw. For longer distances, use a longer, more fluid arm motion and a stronger release. For shorter distances, use a quicker, more compact motion with less force.

4. Should I use a specific type of grip when throwing a baseball?

The most common grip used in baseball is the four-seam grip, where the index and middle fingers are placed across the seams of the ball. However, some players may find that a two-seam or three-finger grip works better for them. Experiment with different grips to find what feels most comfortable and accurate for you.

5. What should I do if I consistently miss my target when throwing a baseball?

If you are consistently missing your target, it is important to identify any potential issues with your throwing mechanics. It can also be helpful to have someone watch and give feedback on your technique. Additionally, regular practice and repetition can help improve your accuracy over time.