Flight time of Projectile motion

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics problem involving the time of flight for a ball thrown at a specific angle and initial velocity. The student initially makes a mistake in their calculations due to using the wrong unit mode on their calculator, but is then provided with a helpful link to double check their quadratic equation.
wassup
Ok, I thought I knew how to do this, but for some reason, according to my homework website, my answer is wrong. So I'm turning to this board before I beat my head against the wall. Please help me.

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown with an initial speed of 31 m/s at an angle of 45�. The ball is thrown from a height of 12 m and lands on the ground.
Find the time of flight.

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial vertical upward velocity = 31 sin 45 = 26.378m/s.
The displacement [Yf – Yo] = –12 m
Yf -Yo = Vot - 0.5*g*t^2
–12 = 26.378 t – 4.905 *t^2
4.905 *t^2 – 26.378 t – 12 = 0
Using b^2 – 4ac = 26.378 ^2– 4*4.905*(– 12)
√ (b^2 – 4ac) = 30.516
– b ±√ (b^2 – 4ac) = 26.378 ± 30.516
= 56.894 leaving the negative time value
Dividing by 2a = 9.81
t = 5.7996 s

Is my work right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I'd check the vertical velocity component again.

31 * sin45° = ... ?

Ugh, no wonder none of my answers have been right, I've been in radian mode on my calculator. I feel like an idiot. Thank you for pointing out the obvious to me.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, where the only force acting on it is gravity. This type of motion follows a parabolic path and is affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

2. How is the flight time of a projectile calculated?

The flight time of a projectile can be calculated using the formula t = 2v0sinθ/g, where t is the flight time, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the mass of the projectile affect its flight time?

No, the mass of the projectile does not affect its flight time as long as air resistance is negligible. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is independent of an object's mass.

4. How does air resistance affect the flight time of a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the flight time of a projectile as it acts as a drag force that opposes the motion of the projectile. This can be seen in real-life scenarios such as throwing a ball in a windy environment.

5. Can the flight time of a projectile be increased?

Yes, the flight time of a projectile can be increased by increasing the initial velocity or the angle of launch. However, air resistance may still affect the actual flight time. Additionally, factors such as air density and wind speed can also affect the flight time of a projectile.