Solving Physics Problems: Ball Thrown at Wall

In summary: Do you know what "acceleration" means? It's the rate of change of velocity. In this case, you're given a velocity and a distance. What do you think the acceleration is?And you'll use that time to solve for Vy. (You'll also use that time to solve for the height where the ball hits the wall.)You know vo=24, a=-9.8,
tigerlili

Homework Statement

You throw a ball toward a wall at speed 24.0 m/s and at angle θ0 = 41.0° above the horizontal (Fig. 4-35). The wall is distance d = 21.0 m from the release point of the ball. (a) How far above the release point does the ball hit the wall? What are the (b) horizontal and (c) vertical components of its velocity as it hits the wall?

Homework Equations

v0x= v0costheta
v0y=v0sintheta

y(t) = -1/2at^2 + v0y + y0

The Attempt at a Solution

this one seems like it should be easy but I'm having a lot of trouble
i got the correct v0x, it was 24cos41= 18.11
but the computer is saying that 24sin41= 15.75 is incorrect.. so i can't get the v0y component

also.. i just don't know how to do part a
please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
tigerlili said:
i got the correct v0x, it was 24cos41= 18.11
but the computer is saying that 24sin41= 15.75 is incorrect.. so i can't get the v0y component
They are looking for the velocity components when it hits the wall, not v0y. The y-component is accelerated.

also.. i just don't know how to do part a
Hint: You'll need expressions for x(t) & y(t).

so.. I'm still confused
do you think you could explain to me how to get the accelerated version of the y component?

i know these are probably stupid questions.. but i feel like i haven't really learned this properly :/

tigerlili said:
so.. I'm still confused
do you think you could explain to me how to get the accelerated version of the y component?
The y-component has constant acceleration. What kinematic formula relates velocity to time for accelerated motion?

d= vit + 1/2 at^2 ?

tigerlili said:
d= vit + 1/2 at^2 ?
No, that gives position as a function of time; you need velocity as a function of time. (But you'll need that equation for part a, which you need to solve first to get the time.)

okay, so..

for part a i use the equation i just mentioned, using v0x as vi and 21=d to solve for time?

and then i plug in the time into the equation... vf=vi + a*t solving for vf?

tigerlili said:
for part a i use the equation i just mentioned, using v0x as vi and 21=d to solve for time?
Yes. What's the acceleration in the horizontal direction? (That equation simplifies.)

and then i plug in the time into the equation... vf=vi + a*t solving for vf?
Yes, for the vertical component.

i wish this were working for me..but it's not :(

Last edited:
tigerlili said:

Hi there tigerlili! Don't give up yet! :wink:

If you post all of your steps and calculations along the way
it will be a lot easier for us to see where you are
making mistakes

:smile:

tigerlili said:

Show what you tried and we'll set you straight. (Don't give up now. :smile:)

i did say what i was doing.. it's just a couple of posts up
(sorry to sound so distraught.. but my physics prof literally teaches us nothing :/)

i tried to use d= vit + 1/2 at^2 for part a but then i realized i was solving for time, not distance, and i got really confused, even though i was told that i was doing it correctly:

for some reason it won't let me quote what i wrote, so, here it is: Re: projectile motion

Originally Posted by tigerlili
"for part a i use the equation i just mentioned, using v0x as vi and 21=d to solve for time?"
Yes. What's the acceleration in the horizontal direction? (That equation simplifies.)

"and then i plug in the time into the equation... vf=vi + a*t solving for vf?"

tigerlili said:
Originally Posted by tigerlili
"for part a i use the equation i just mentioned, using v0x as vi and 21=d to solve for time?"

"and then i plug in the time into the equation... vf=vi + a*t solving for vf?"
Those steps are correct, but you must have made an error somewhere if you're not getting the answer.

Did you solve for the time? What's the acceleration in the horizontal direction? (That's a trick question. Or an easy question, depending on how stressed out you are!)

And you'll use that time to solve for Vy. (You'll also use that time to solve for the height where the ball hits the wall.)

1. How do I calculate the velocity of a ball thrown at a wall?

The velocity of a ball can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (usually taken as -9.8 m/s^2 for gravity), and t is the time. To calculate the velocity of a ball thrown at a wall, you will need to know the initial velocity and the time it takes for the ball to reach the wall.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the distance traveled per unit time, whereas velocity is the rate of change of position with respect to time. In other words, speed tells us how fast an object is moving, while velocity tells us both how fast and in which direction the object is moving.

3. How do I calculate the distance traveled by a ball thrown at a wall?

The distance traveled by a ball can be calculated using the formula d = ut + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. To calculate the distance traveled by a ball thrown at a wall, you will need to know the initial velocity, the acceleration, and the time it takes for the ball to reach the wall.

4. What is the significance of the angle at which the ball is thrown?

The angle at which the ball is thrown determines the initial velocity and direction of the ball. The angle also affects the distance traveled by the ball and the time it takes to reach the wall. A ball thrown at a higher angle will have a greater initial velocity and will travel a longer distance, while a ball thrown at a lower angle will have a lower initial velocity and will travel a shorter distance.

5. Can I use the same equations to solve problems involving different objects?

Yes, the equations used to calculate the velocity and distance of a ball thrown at a wall can also be used to solve problems involving other objects, as long as the objects are experiencing constant acceleration. However, the values for initial velocity, acceleration, and time may be different depending on the specific object and situation being studied.