Calculating Velocity of a Projectile 0.1s Before Hitting Ground

In summary, to calculate the velocity (magnitude and direction) of a projectile 0.1s before it hits the ground, you can use the formulas for velocity in the x and y directions, which are given by Vx = 20*cos(30) and Vy = Vi + at = 20*sin(30) - gt. By evaluating these velocities at the given time of 2.9s, you can find the components of the velocity vector, which are 17.3m/s to the right and 18.4m/s down. Using the inverse tan function, you can calculate the angle with the horizontal, which turns out to be 47 degrees below the horizontal.
1irishman

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched from the top of a cliff with an initial velocity of 20m/s at 30deg. above the horizontal. It hits the ground 3.0s later. Given projectile range is 52m and height is 14.1m, how do i calculate it velocity(magnitude and direction) 0.1s before it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

d=vit+1/2at^2
vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I already calculated the range and the height, but i don't know how to do the velocity before it hits the ground based on those figures in the question. Please hints? Do i have to draw another triangle for the landing and use a new value for time or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just use y = Vi*t + .5*a*t^2 ?
Vi is 20*sin(30) so you know everything.

Well, they got 25.3m/s at 47deg below the horizontal...so...i'm not sure how they got there...any hints please? thanks.

Sorry, Irish - I glossed over the problem and didn't see "magnitude and direction" and of course you need velocity formulas, not the distance one. The thing is the velocities for all times are given by
Vx = 20*cos(30) and Vy = Vi + at = 20*sin(30) - gt
so you just evaluate at the time you want. Then combine the two vectors - triangle, pythagorean theorem and a tan calc for the angle.

I got a triangle with sides 10m/s vertical, 17.3m/s horizontal, and 20m/s hypotenuse. I"m lost now ...

Vy = Vi + at = 20*sin(30) - gt at time 2.9 is -18.4
so you have 17.3 to the right and 18.4 down.
You want the angle with horizontal, the angle in the triangle adjacent to the 17.3 side. Just right tan of that angle = opposite/adjacent.
Do inverse tan of both sides and you have your angle.

What is the formula for calculating velocity of a projectile?

The formula for calculating velocity of a projectile is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

How do you calculate velocity of a projectile 0.1s before hitting ground?

To calculate the velocity of a projectile 0.1s before hitting the ground, you would need to know the initial velocity and acceleration of the projectile. Then, plug those values into the formula v = u + at, where t is 0.1s. This will give you the final velocity of the projectile before it hits the ground.

What are the units for velocity and time in the formula for calculating velocity of a projectile?

The units for velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) and the units for time are seconds (s). However, it is important to make sure that the units are consistent throughout the calculation.

What factors can affect the velocity of a projectile?

The velocity of a projectile can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, acceleration, air resistance, and gravitational pull. The angle and height at which the projectile is launched can also impact its velocity.

Why is it important to calculate the velocity of a projectile before it hits the ground?

Calculating the velocity of a projectile before it hits the ground can help determine the distance it will travel and the force it will exert upon impact. This information can be useful for safety purposes, as well as for understanding the behavior of objects in motion.