1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion

1. Oct 12, 2003 #1
    I just need alittle help on getting started with just the formulas.
    There are just two question.

1) A baseball thrown at 100.8 mi/hr. If the pitch were thrown horizonally with this velocity how far would the ball travel vertically by the time it reaches home plate 60.0 ft away?

Do i need to worry about the time it takes?

2) If a student stands at the edge of a cliff and throws a rock horizonally over the edge with a speed of 18.0 m/s, The cliff is 50 m above a flat. How long after being released does the rock strile the beach below the cliff? With what speed and angle of the impact does it land.

I do know the the angle = tan-1 (Vy/Vx)

I am just struggling a bit on these two.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, yes, you do. You know the horizontal velocity and that there is (neglecting air resistance) no horizontal acceleration so it should be easy to determine the time a ball moving at 100.8 mi/hr takes to travel 60.0 feet (you might want to convert that speed to ft/sec). You know that there is no initial vertical speed and the vertical acceleration is -32.2 ft/sec2.

Once again, you know that the horizontal speed, 18.0 m/s and that there is no acceleration vertically. You know that there is no initial vertical speed and the vertical acceleration is -9.8 m/s2. You should be able to write down the horizontal and vertical speed at any time t as well as the horizontal and vertical distance from the initial point. Since the rock has to go down 50 m in order to hit the beach, you need to find the time required for the vertical
    distance to be -50- then use that to find the speed and angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?