Projectile motion sand bag drop

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vertical and horizontal velocity in relation to a dropped sand bag. While the vertical velocity increases due to the acceleration of gravity, the book claims that the horizontal velocity remains constant, which the speaker believes is incorrect. The discrepancy is due to the book ignoring the effects of air resistance, which would cause the horizontal velocity to decrease over time.
anandzoom
sand bag is dropped...i can understand that vertical acceleration is 9.8m/s^2...so vertical velocity increases in a.p (9.8, 19.6... m/s)...but this book says horizontal velocity of sandbag is constant and same as that of hot-air balloon (i.e., 12m/s)...I think the horizontal velocity should decrease gradually...but it doesn't...why?

Attachments

• WP_20150424_18_16_20_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20150424_18_16_20_Pro[1].jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
anandzoom said:
sand bag is dropped...i can understand that vertical acceleration is 9.8m/s^2...so vertical velocity increases in a.p (9.8, 19.6... m/s)...but this book says horizontal velocity of sandbag is constant and same as that of hot-air balloon (i.e., 12m/s)...I think the horizontal velocity should decrease gradually...but it doesn't...why?
The book is ignoring air resistance. Can you see that in the absence of air resistance, horizontal velocity must be constant?

Likes anandzoom

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity. It follows a curved path, known as a parabola, due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground.

2. How does a sand bag drop demonstrate projectile motion?

A sand bag drop demonstrates projectile motion because the sand bag is initially at rest, and when dropped, it follows a curved path as it falls due to the force of gravity acting on it. The sand bag also has a horizontal velocity component, giving it a parabolic trajectory.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a sand bag drop?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a sand bag drop include the initial height of the drop, the angle at which it is dropped, the initial velocity of the sand bag, and the force of gravity.

4. How does the mass of the sand bag affect its motion?

The mass of the sand bag does not affect its motion in terms of its trajectory, as long as air resistance is negligible. However, a heavier sand bag will experience a greater force of gravity and accelerate faster towards the ground, reaching the ground at the same time as a lighter sand bag dropped from the same height.

5. Can the equations of projectile motion be applied to a sand bag drop?

Yes, the equations of projectile motion can be applied to a sand bag drop, as long as air resistance is negligible. These equations include the vertical and horizontal components of the sand bag's motion, such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement.