Particle Motion between Parallel Walls: Speed & Angle

In summary, a particle moves between two parallel vertical walls separated by 6.7m at a constant rate of 5.3m/s and hits the opposite wall at the same height. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. The speed at which it hits the opposing wall is 8.152m/s and the angle of its trajectory with respect to the wall is 49.447 degrees. However, there is confusion about the angle and it is clarified that it is with respect to the vertical, not the x-axis. There is also uncertainty about the height and the accuracy of the constant velocity.
AdnamaLeigh
A particle travels btwn 2 parallel vertical walls separated by 6.7m. It moves towards the opposing wall at a constant rate of 5.3m/s. It hits the opposite wall at the same height. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

The first question pertaining to this was the speed when it hits the opposing wall. I found the correct answer to be 8.152m/s. Then it wants to know the angle that it hits the wall. For where the particle left the first wall, I made a right triangle and found the angle to be 49.447 degrees.

I don't know how to answer the question. I assumed that the answer was to be in respect to the positive x-axis so I did 180-49.447 = 130.553 and that was wrong. Are they asking for the angle relative to the opposing wall? I'm so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
What they want is the angle that the trajectory makes with the wall. Since the wall is vertical, the angle is with respect to vertical, not the x-axis.

" It hits the opposite wall at the same height. "

Same height?? Same as what? No height is mentioned.

Also you say "It moves towards the opposing wall at a constant rate of 5.3m/s." That can't be true if there is acceleration due to gravity.

Did you intend to say that the horizontal component of velocity is a constant 5.3 m/s?

1. What is particle motion between parallel walls?

Particle motion between parallel walls refers to the movement of a small object or particle between two parallel walls. This type of motion is often studied in physics and can be influenced by factors such as speed and angle of the particle.

2. How is speed related to particle motion between parallel walls?

The speed of a particle can greatly affect its motion between parallel walls. A higher speed can cause the particle to bounce between the walls more frequently and with greater force, while a lower speed may result in less frequent and weaker bounces.

3. What impact does the angle of the walls have on particle motion?

The angle of the walls can have a significant impact on particle motion. A steeper angle can cause the particle to bounce more erratically and with greater force, while a shallower angle may result in smoother and less forceful bounces.

4. How can the speed and angle of the walls be manipulated to alter particle motion?

The speed and angle of the walls can be manipulated to change the motion of the particle. By adjusting the speed and angle, one can control the frequency and force of the bounces, ultimately altering the path and trajectory of the particle.

5. What practical applications does the study of particle motion between parallel walls have?

The study of particle motion between parallel walls has many practical applications, including in industries such as material science, engineering, and physics. Understanding how particles move between walls can help in designing structures and materials that can withstand impacts and collisions.