1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    Can someone work show me how to work this? I am very confused.
    1. A place kicker must kick a football from a point 36.0 m (about 40.0 yd) from the goal, and the ball must clear the crossbar, which is 3.05 m high. When kicked, the ball leaves the ground with a speed of 31.0 m/s at an angle of 50° to the horizontal.What is the vertical component of velocity of the ball at this time? (Assume the positive direction is upward.)
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't multiple post.

I have a better idea -- why don't you tell us how you worked the problem, and we can tell you where you went wrong, if anywhere?
  4. Sep 20, 2005 #3
    Sorry. First time in the threads

I got 13.7 for the m for the change in X. I dont no where to go past that. What should I do.
  5. Sep 20, 2005 #4
    Vi= 31
    Y=13.7? I think. Where do I go from there? Thanks
  6. Sep 20, 2005 #5
    Is it Vx=Vxi=Vxf so is it 31?
  7. Sep 20, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At what time? Initially? At the crossbar? Some other time?

If it's the first one, then this problem is a piece of cake. You can ignore all the stuff about the distances and just use the info on the initial velocity.
  8. Sep 20, 2005 #7
    this is a toughy!

yeah i tried really hard on this problem and i cant work it out. i think it has to do with the cosin or sin of the angle because it makes a right triangle, let me know if anyone figures anything out.
  9. Sep 20, 2005 #8
    Its the one on the cross bar
  10. Sep 20, 2005 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, so among other things you've got the following equation to work with:

This expresses the physical fact that there is no acceleration in the x-direction (neglecting air resistance). You can use this equation to figure out when the ball reaches the crossbar.

Then you've been asked for the vertical component of the velocity. That would be the y-component. You have an equation for the [itex]v_y[/itex] as a function of time. You will need to use that to answer the question.

Give that a shot, and if you are still having trouble post your steps so that we can see them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?