Projectile Motion football kick

In summary, at the time the ball is kicked, it has a velocity of 31.0 m/s in the positive direction and is at an angle of 50° to the horizontal.
chriszollman
Can someone work show me how to work this? I am very confused.
1. A place kicker must kick a football from a point 36.0 m (about 40.0 yd) from the goal, and the ball must clear the crossbar, which is 3.05 m high. When kicked, the ball leaves the ground with a speed of 31.0 m/s at an angle of 50° to the horizontal.What is the vertical component of velocity of the ball at this time? (Assume the positive direction is upward.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't multiple post.

I have a better idea -- why don't you tell us how you worked the problem, and we can tell you where you went wrong, if anywhere?

Sorry. First time in the threads

I got 13.7 for the m for the change in X. I don't no where to go past that. What should I do.

Vi= 31
Angle-50
X=36
Y=13.7? I think. Where do I go from there? Thanks

Is it Vx=Vxi=Vxf so is it 31?

chriszollman said:
What is the vertical component of velocity of the ball at this time? (Assume the positive direction is upward.)

At what time? Initially? At the crossbar? Some other time?

If it's the first one, then this problem is a piece of cake. You can ignore all the stuff about the distances and just use the info on the initial velocity.

this is a toughy!

yeah i tried really hard on this problem and i can't work it out. i think it has to do with the cosin or sin of the angle because it makes a right triangle, let me know if anyone figures anything out.

Its the one on the cross bar

OK, so among other things you've got the following equation to work with:

[tex]x=v_i\cos(\theta)t[/tex].

This expresses the physical fact that there is no acceleration in the x-direction (neglecting air resistance). You can use this equation to figure out when the ball reaches the crossbar.

Then you've been asked for the vertical component of the velocity. That would be the y-component. You have an equation for the [itex]v_y[/itex] as a function of time. You will need to use that to answer the question.

Give that a shot, and if you are still having trouble post your steps so that we can see them.

1. What is projectile motion in a football kick?

Projectile motion in a football kick refers to the path followed by the ball after it has been kicked. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motions due to the force of gravity.

2. How does the angle of the kick affect the projectile motion of a football?

The angle of the kick plays a crucial role in determining the distance and height of the ball's trajectory. A higher angle will result in a shorter distance but a higher arc, while a lower angle will result in a longer distance but a lower arc.

3. Why does a football follow a parabolic path when kicked?

The force of gravity acts on the ball as soon as it leaves the player's foot, causing it to follow a curved path known as a parabola. This is due to the combination of the ball's horizontal velocity and the downward acceleration of gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion in a football kick?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the speed and trajectory of a football. The shape and texture of the ball, as well as the density and humidity of the air, can all impact the amount of air resistance experienced by the ball.

5. Can the initial velocity of a football kick be calculated using projectile motion equations?

Yes, the initial velocity of a football kick can be calculated by using the projectile motion equations, taking into account the angle of the kick, the distance traveled, and the height of the ball's trajectory.