1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    i have a few questions that i need help with. thanks! =)

A diver dives from the edge of a swimming pool and lands in the pool 5.7 m away 0.82 seconds later. With what speed did the diver dive? at what angle? assume the diver lands at the same height he started from.

A 2m tall basketball player shoots a ball at an angle of 51 degrees from horizontal. He released the ball even with the top of his head. It passes through the rim (3.05 m above the floor) 1.1 seconds later. How far was the player from the basket?

A baseball is hit at 30 m/s at an angle of 53 degrees. At the instand the ball was hit, an outfielder runs towards the infield at a constant velocity of 4.0 m/s and catches the ball at the same height from which it was hit. How far was the outfielder initially from the batter?

Can someone explain how to do this/what the answer would be?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2
    Thats actually incorrect. From looking at your other thread, your understanding of physics isnt really one which gives you a position to be helping people..:rolleyes: :frown:
  4. Oct 20, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

actingjsg - Can you tell us what you've tried already?

Edit: Oh, wait. I already said that. I take it you posted this elsewhere as well, and it was moved here? Well, now I feel like a doofus. Please pick one of the threads and let us know where you are.
  5. Oct 20, 2005 #4
    Average speed= Distance / time is incorrect???
  6. Oct 20, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

It is correct, but it's not particularly helpful when the object is accelerating.
  7. Oct 20, 2005 #6
    Oh, right. I see your problem.

I'll try to be more specific if replying to someone, sorry.
  8. Oct 20, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The number given is not even the total distance traversed; it is the total displacement.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?