1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motions problem

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile is fired with an initial speed of 16.0 m/s at an angle of 45.0^\circ above the horizontal. The object hits the ground 9.00 s later.

What is the direction (below +x) of the projectile's velocity at the instant it hits the ground?

Vo=16m/s
    a=-g
    θ=45
    Tf=9 seconds
    magnitude of velocity an instant before it hits the ground: 77.7 m/s
    max height: 301.53 m/s

2. Relevant equations

-gsin(θ)
    Vxf=Vxi+a(tf-ti)
    Xf=Xi+Vxi(tf-ti) + 1/2 A(tf-ti)^2
    Vxf^2=Vxi^2+2a(Xf-Xi)

Vyf=Vyi+a(tf-ti)
    Yf=yi+Vyi(tf-ti) + 1/2 A(tf-ti)^2
    Vyf^2=Vyi^2+2a(Yf-Yi)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I got 45 degrees and I got that from finding the xcomponents and ycomponents

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

If it took 9 seconds to hit the ground, it must have been fired from the top of a rather tall building/high hill.

At that speed, at 45 degrees it would hit the ground [flat ground scenario] in a little over 2 seconds.

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

In light of what PeterO has written, I'd check that 45 degrees angle. It would have been 45 degrees after 2 secs of flight, so if it took another 7 secs, then its vertical speed would have been considerably more, making the angle steeper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook