Solving for θ Given Time in Projectile Motion

In summary, a function relating theta and time together may be possible to create, but it is unclear what theta is.
misogynisticfeminist
Hi, I'm trying to find out how a function relating [tex] \theta [/tex] and time together. this is because, in many cases of projectile motion, they do give us say, the angle at various spots of a particle's trajectory or velocities so that we solve for theta. Is it possible to create a function so that I know theta straight away just by substituting in the variable time??

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the angle [itex] \theta [/itex]...?Is it somehow connected to the double-slit experiment...?

Daniel.

What do projectiles have to do with the double slit experiment? :confused:

They do,u see,it's all clear to me:projectiles,double slit experiments and Copenhagen vs.other QM interpretations...If u don't believe me read here and here

Daniel.

misogynisticfeminist said:
Hi, I'm trying to find out how a function relating [tex] \theta [/tex] and time together. this is because, in many cases of projectile motion, they do give us say, the angle at various spots of a particle's trajectory or velocities so that we solve for theta. Is it possible to create a function so that I know theta straight away just by substituting in the variable time??

And in case you're not doing the double slit experiment... :wink:

[tex]v_x=v_{x,0}[/tex]
[tex]v_y=v_{y,0}-gt[/tex]
[tex]x=x_0+v_{x,0}t[/tex]
[tex]y=y_0+v_{y,0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

Now I'm not sure what you mean by [tex]\theta[/tex] either, but it could be:

[tex]tan(\theta)=\frac{v_y}{v_x}=\frac{v_{y,0}-gt}{v_{x,0}}[/tex]
[tex]tan(\theta)=\frac{y}{x}=\frac{y_0+v_{y,0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2}{x_0+v_{x,0}t}[/tex]

If not, please clarify what you mean by [tex]\theta[/tex].

Aren't "x" and "y" perpendicular,so the angle between them [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex] and the tangent of this angle is [itex] \infty [/itex]...?The same goes for velocity vector's projections onto the rectangular Oxy...:bugeye:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Aren't "x" and "y" perpendicular,so the angle between them [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex] and the tangent of this angle is [itex] \infty [/itex]...?The same goes for velocity vector's projections onto the rectangular Oxy...:bugeye:

Uh, what? This isn't the angle between x and y. "x" and "y" represent the sides of a right triangle with one vertex at the origin. The angle is relative to the horizontal.

You're right.I think among your 2 options lies the OP's answer to his question,unless it's something which would defy logics.

Daniel.

SpaceTiger said:
And in case you're not doing the double slit experiment... :wink:

[tex]v_x=v_{x,0}[/tex]
[tex]v_y=v_{y,0}-gt[/tex]
[tex]x=x_0+v_{x,0}t[/tex]
[tex]y=y_0+v_{y,0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

Now I'm not sure what you mean by [tex]\theta[/tex] either, but it could be:

[tex]tan(\theta)=\frac{v_y}{v_x}=\frac{v_{y,0}-gt}{v_{x,0}}[/tex]
[tex]tan(\theta)=\frac{y}{x}=\frac{y_0+v_{y,0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2}{x_0+v_{x,0}t}[/tex]

If not, please clarify what you mean by [tex]\theta[/tex].

hey, that helped, thanks alot.

I was not looking for the double-slit exp. though lol. I wouldn't have posted that in the classical physics forum. and that helped too, btw.

: )

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. How do you solve for θ given time in projectile motion?

To solve for θ (the angle of launch) given time in projectile motion, you can use the equation θ = tan^-1(g*t/v), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, t is the time, and v is the initial velocity.

3. How does time affect projectile motion?

Time plays a crucial role in projectile motion as it determines the duration of the motion. The longer an object is in the air, the farther it will travel and the higher it will go. Time also affects the velocity and acceleration of the object.

4. What factors affect the angle of launch in projectile motion?

The angle of launch in projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the distance and height of the target. The angle that maximizes the range of the projectile is 45 degrees.

5. Can you solve for θ given time in projectile motion without knowing the initial velocity?

No, you cannot solve for θ without knowing the initial velocity. The initial velocity is a crucial component in calculating the angle of launch, as it affects the trajectory and range of the projectile. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately solve for θ.