1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Olympiad Question

1. Jan 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cannonball is launched with initial velocity of magnitude v0 over a horizontal surface. At what minimum angle θmin above the horizontal should the cannonball be launched so that it rises to a height H which is larger than the horizontal distance R that it will travel when it returns to the ground?

(A) θmin = 76◦
    (B) θmin = 72◦
    (C) θmin = 60◦
    (D) θmin = 45◦
    (E) There is no such angle, as R > H for all range problems.

2. Relevant equations

d = (vi+vf)/2)*t

3. The attempt at a solution

H = (1/2)(v0sinθ)(t) and R = (v0cosθ)(t)

Thus, if H = R, then (1/2)(v0sinθ)(t) = (v0cosθ)(t)
    =>tanθ = 2, so θ = 63.4°. I'm probably making a really obvious mistake here, but I'm not seeing it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you need to include the effect of gravity somewhere? [EDIT: Nevermind, you are using the equation d = (vi + vf)*t/2 which doesn't require knowing the acceleration.]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. Jan 9, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think I now see what you're doing. Does the t in the H equation represent the same time as the t in the R equation?

5. Jan 9, 2013 #4
    ohhhh i see now. the t in the H equation is the time to get to maximum height, which is half of the t in the R equation. so it would really be (1/2)(v0sinθ)(t/2) = (v0cosθ)(t) which gives tanθ = 4 so θ = 75.9° (A). Thanks so much!!

6. Jan 9, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook