1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile on an incline

1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A projectile is thrown from a point A on an inclined plane field of unknown slope α, and hits the field on a point B. We know the angle between the initial velocity and the field: θ. We know the magnitude of the velocity: V. We know the the acceleration of gravity: g. We know the slant range of the projectile (distance between A and B): R. We have no friction.

Calculate α in terms of θ,V,g, and R.

I worked on this problem and I always get a complex 4th degree polynomial equation or a trigonometric equation that I can't figure out how to solve.

2. Relevant equations
    V sin(alpha + theta)t = R sin(alpha)
    V cos (alpha+theta)t + (1/2)gt^2 = R cos(alpha)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Consider alpha the angle between the gravity vector and the field. Consider a 2D reference frame (X,Y) that contains the trajectory and let Y be vertical and opposite to g and X be horizontal and such that the trajectory is in X > 0. if we decompose the equation of motion along X we get: V sin(alpha + theta)t = R sin(alpha). along Y we get: V cos (alpha+theta)t + (1/2)gt^2 = R cos(alpha). if we divide the second equation by the first we get a trigonometric equation with cot(alpha+theta), sin(alpha+theta), and cot(alpha). I couldn't go any further from here

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi jal, welcome (a bit belated) to PF :smile: !

You have made an unconventional choice for ##\alpha## ! Usually we say ##\alpha = 0## means horizontal. For you it's straight down. Never mind.

##\theta=0## means parallel with the plane and I can't find a flaw in your story. Dividing 2nd by 1st still leaves a t which you eliminate with the first eqn. Leaving not only the ones you mention, but another ##\sin\alpha## as well.

It is a single equation with a single unknown. I don't see a reasonable straightforward way towards an expression like ##\alpha = ...## (with no ##\alpha## on the RHS). I would solve it numerically.

And I do wonder if just this single equation (with ##\alpha## on both sides) isn't enough answer for the composer of the exercise.

Funny how such a simple situation can be made so complicated. After all, it's just a parabola passing to a suitable origin (point A) with an equation like y = P x ( x - Q) . Two degrees of freedom, three givens, so room for pinning down ##\alpha##.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we follow Tuesdays advice by @A.T. from post #2 in this thread (which is a duplicate of the current thread -- PF frowns on that ?:) ! ) and decouple ##\theta## and ##\alpha## at the (small) cost of having uniformly accelerated motion in two directions instead of one:

We say (going back to the more conventional ##\alpha = 0## and ##\theta = 0## when horizontal and I also like g = +9.81 m/s2, sorry) $$
    x = v_0\cos\theta\; t - {\tfrac 1 2} g \sin\alpha\; t^2 \\
    y = v_0\sin\theta\; t - {\tfrac 1 2} g \cos\alpha\; t^2 \\
    $$and know that ##y=0## at ##t=0## and at $$
    t={2v_o\sin\theta\over g \cos\alpha}
    $$You get somewhat cleaner equations, easier to type in :smile: when solving with e.g. excel :

Parabola.jpg

But I don't get much further than an equation like ##P\sin\alpha - Q\cos\alpha = C \cos^2\alpha## (with P, Q and C known) which for me is too difficult :smile:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. Mar 9, 2015 #3
    Thank you BvU for your reply!
    Not a complete solution but very useful :)
    I'll keep trying based on what u propose and see if I can get any further...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted