Deriving Projectile Pendulum Formulas for Theoretical Speeds | Homework Help

In summary, the bob in the experiment swings back and forth horizontally at a distance d below the fulcrum. The mass is at the bottom of the swing and just barely makes it over the lower rod. If the bob were to swing further down, it would hit the lower rod and not be able to swing back up.
mrknowknow

Homework Statement

I need help deriving some formulas, specifically the theoretical speed of a bob at the bottom of a pendulum where the string is horizontal from the lower rod to the bob.

Background / Introduction
1. A small weight at the end of a string of length, L, forming a simple pendulum.
2. A horizontal rod is located a distance, d, directly beneath the pivot point.
3. The mass is held so that the string is taut and horizontal and then let fall.
4. What is the minimum distance, d, such that the mass will cause the string to loop over the pin at least once? In theory, we assume the bob is a point mass and the horizontal rod which is a distance d from the fulcrum is infinitesimally thin. However, experimentally, we are looking for the minimum value of d such that the mass hits the lower rod and falls on the other side of it.

Some Physics principles to keep in mind:
• Since the only considered forces acting on the mass are tension and weight, and since the tension does no work on the mass (the tension is perpendicular to the displacement), energy of the mass is conserved.
• Once the string goes slack, the tension disappears and the only force acting on the bob is the force of gravity. Thus, the mass is in projectile motion.
• At the point of the string going slack, the tension drops to zero, but at that moment there is still a centripetal force.

Position Meaning
A Starting position. String is horizontal from the upper rod to the mass.
B At bottom of arc. String is vertical from the upper rod to the mass.
C String is horizontal from the lower rod to the mass
D String starts having slack
E Mass just barely makes it over the lower rod.

Homework Equations

the only equation I've been able to derive is at is V=sqrt(g(L-D)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Think conservation of energy.

Consider the point at which the string has started to wind about the rod, the string is still taut, and the string from rod to mass makes an angle theta to the vertical (the downward vertical from the rod, say).
Using CWatters' hint, what equation can you write for the velocity there? With that and a free body diagram, what equation can you write for the tension in the string?

okay so 1/2mv^2=mgh?

mrknowknow said:
okay so 1/2mv^2=mgh?

Yes, but what is that in terms of theta, not h?

1/2mv^2=mg(L-cosθ) ??

mrknowknow said:
1/2mv^2=mg(L-cosθ) ??

Not quite. Try that again.

thank god you found time to respond tonight! I was pulling my hair out!

Okay I derived v=2sqrt(2gL) for question 1 under Analysis A.

I'm trying to figure out step 13 under Procedure B.

1/2mv^2=mg(L-D) ??

Attachments

• PHY 251 Lab_Ch10_Projectile Pendulum v05.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 245
mrknowknow said:
thank god you found time to respond tonight! I was pulling my hair out!

Okay I derived v=2sqrt(2gL) for question 1 under Analysis A.

I'm trying to figure out step 13 under Procedure B.

1/2mv^2=mg(L-D) ??
It descended height L to its lowest point, but has started to swing back up. The angle the string makes to the vertical is theta. How far below its starting point is it now?
[It's mid-afternoon here, and I was out all morning.]

But I'm trying to find the theoretical speed of the bob at position C (string is horizontal from the lower rod to the mass) and the theoretical angle at position D (string starts having slack)

mrknowknow said:
But I'm trying to find the theoretical speed of the bob at position C (string is horizontal from the lower rod to the mass) and the theoretical angle at position D (string starts having slack)
To answer D you will have to grapple with the general question of the speed when the string is at angle theta. But OK, let's just do C first.
The mass descended distance L to reach the lowest point; now it has risen to be level with the pin. The pin is distance d below the starting point. How far is the mass below the starting point?

L-d ??

mrknowknow said:
L-d ??

No. It's really simple. Draw a diagram. Or concentrate on these words I wrote:
[the mass is] level with the pin. The pin is distance d below the starting point. How far is the mass below the starting point?

I don't see how it's not L-D. I'm sorry maybe I'm not visualizing it right. I attached a picture that looks like our experiment.

Attachments

• pinandpendulum.pdf
    60.7 KB · Views: 243
mrknowknow said:
I don't see how it's not L-D. I'm sorry maybe I'm not visualizing it right. I attached a picture that looks like our experiment.
Now I see that picture I realize we might have some confusion about labels. The picture uses D for the distance from pin to the top of the string and d for another distance later, while the OP uses D for a position of the bob. I'll use s instead of D for the distance from the pin to the top of the string, ok?
You have the following points already defined:
A = start position (top right in picture)
B = lowest position (distance L below A)
C = leftmost position (level with pin)
Let me define two more:
O = top of string.
P = pin.
O is at the same height as A
P is distance s below O
C is same height as P.

How far is C below P?
How far is C below O?
How far is C below A?
All the information you need to answer those three questions is in the three statements in bold.

C is same height as P so it's 0 below P
C is (O-P)
C is s below A

I just left our school's tutoring center and I just wasted another 2 hours because they weren't able to figure it out either.

mrknowknow said:
C is same height as P so it's 0 below P
C is (O-P)
C is s below A
Yes! So now you can get the velocity at point C.
But, as I posted before, this doesn't help much. You need the velocity when the bob is at some later position D. The diagram has the string at angle theta above the line PC, so let's go with that. How far is D below A?

1. What is a projectile pendulum and how does it work?

A projectile pendulum is a simple apparatus used to study projectile motion. It consists of a ball or other object suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. When the ball is released, it swings back and forth, tracing out a curved path known as a pendulum. The motion of the pendulum can be used to calculate the speed and trajectory of the ball at various points along its path.

2. How do you derive the formulas for theoretical speeds in a projectile pendulum?

The formulas for theoretical speeds in a projectile pendulum are derived using the principles of projectile motion and conservation of energy. By analyzing the forces acting on the ball at different points along its path, and considering the change in potential and kinetic energy, we can derive equations that relate the speed of the ball to the length of the pendulum and the angle of release.

3. What are the assumptions made when deriving projectile pendulum formulas?

When deriving projectile pendulum formulas, we make a few key assumptions. These include assuming that there is no air resistance, that the pendulum is released from rest, and that the mass and shape of the ball remain constant throughout its motion. Additionally, we assume that the length of the pendulum is much greater than the diameter of the ball, so that the motion can be treated as two-dimensional.

4. How accurate are the theoretical speeds calculated using projectile pendulum formulas?

The accuracy of the theoretical speeds calculated using projectile pendulum formulas depends on how closely the assumptions made during derivation match the real-world conditions. In idealized situations, the calculated speeds can be very accurate. However, in real-life scenarios where there may be factors like air resistance, the calculated speeds may differ from the actual speeds of the ball.

5. How can projectile pendulum formulas be applied in real-world situations?

The formulas for theoretical speeds in a projectile pendulum have various applications in physics and engineering. They can be used to study the motion of projectiles in sports like archery or javelin throwing, or to analyze the trajectory of objects in space. They can also be used to design and test structures that need to withstand impacts, such as bridges or buildings.