Can Trigonometry Help Predict Projectile Interception in Video Games?

• Thread starter MrDoomMaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a game involving a main ship scrolling through a level and firing at other ships. The player has a specific weapon that needs to be fired in a way that it will intersect with the target, accounting for the target's velocity. The concept of a "maneuvering board" is brought up as a solution, involving drawing vectors and using trigonometry to calculate the projectile's direction. The conversation also mentions a Navy publication that explains how to solve maneuvering board problems.
MrDoomMaster
Here is the scenario I am faced with:

I am developing a game that involves a main ship (the player) scrolling forward through a level firing at other ships that fly by.

There is a particular weapon the player has that will shoot a specific straight-moving projectile at a moving target. Since this moving projectile is slower than the ships move, the projectile needs to be fired in a way that it will "intersect" with the target at some point, thus hitting it no matter how fast it's going.

Instead of firing my projectile at the target's current location (which provides the target a way to easily dodge the projectile), the projectile needs to account the velocity of its target and fire at an angle that would cause it to "meet" the ship at a specific location in space.

I hope I've been detailed enough. I've been losing hair trying to visualize a formula for this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In navigation, it is called a "maneuvering board" (you can google that). Draw a picture and use vectors.

First, draw a heads-up view from the projectile, with one vector directly forward, indicating its speed. Draw a second vector from the same origin indicating the true speed and direction of the target ship. Compute the 3rd leg of the triangle for the relative course and speed of the ship.

Then draw a heads-up view of the location of the projectile and target. The projectile goes in the middle and the target is whatever distance and direction you see it in. Use the speed and direction you calculated in the first part and find where that intersects with the speed vector for the projectile, which will then give you the direction the projectile needs to go.

It isn't an easy problem the first time you see it, so you may need to find yourself a good tutorial on maneuvering boards and learn it.

I was not able to find anything on this via google...

1. What is projectile predictability?

Projectile predictability is the ability to accurately determine the path of a projectile, such as a bullet or a ball, based on its initial velocity and other factors such as air resistance and gravity.

2. What factors affect projectile predictability?

The main factors that affect projectile predictability are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also have an impact.

3. How is projectile predictability calculated?

Projectile predictability is typically calculated using equations from projectile motion, such as the range equation or the trajectory equation. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and other factors to determine the path of the projectile.

4. Why is projectile predictability important?

Projectile predictability is important in a variety of fields, including sports, military operations, and engineering. It allows for accurate targeting and trajectory planning, which can improve performance and safety.

5. Can projectile predictability be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as wind, air density, and temperature can affect projectile predictability. These factors can cause the projectile to deviate from its predicted path and can be difficult to account for in calculations.