1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Problem - Angle

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A projectile is fired at an angle of 30 degrees above the horinzontal with a velocity V0 of 460 m/s. Determine the radius of the curvature of the trajectory at the position of the particle 10 seconds after firing.

2. Relevant equations

V = U + AT

3. The attempt at a solution

By working out the speeds of the x and y components 10 seconds into the flight ive worked out the projectile is facing 39.466 degrees below the horizontal. However, now that i know the angle of the projectile 10 seconds into its journey, how do i work out the "radius of the curvature"?

Any help would be much appreciated.

James

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should have been able to calculate the precise formula for y as a function of x. (It should be a parabola.) Do you know how to calculate "curvature" from that? Radius of curvature is just the reciprocal of curvature.

4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    I dont know how to calculate that, no. The teacher just said i had to work out the forces acting in the x and y direction at t=10 so thats what i did. If you could explain the next step or what i should have done that would be great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?