Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectile Problem - Angle

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A projectile is fired at an angle of 30 degrees above the horinzontal with a velocity V0 of 460 m/s. Determine the radius of the curvature of the trajectory at the position of the particle 10 seconds after firing.

2. Relevant equations

V = U + AT

3. The attempt at a solution

By working out the speeds of the x and y components 10 seconds into the flight ive worked out the projectile is facing 39.466 degrees below the horizontal. However, now that i know the angle of the projectile 10 seconds into its journey, how do i work out the "radius of the curvature"?

Any help would be much appreciated.

James

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You should have been able to calculate the precise formula for y as a function of x. (It should be a parabola.) Do you know how to calculate "curvature" from that? Radius of curvature is just the reciprocal of curvature.

4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    I dont know how to calculate that, no. The teacher just said i had to work out the forces acting in the x and y direction at t=10 so thats what i did. If you could explain the next step or what i should have done that would be great.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook