1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Problem

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if20rc.jpg

There is the question I am having trouble with. All the data is given in the image. I am to find "d". The slope being on an angle is what is throwing me off. It would be simple enough if the ground was perfectly horizontal, but I am not sure how to handle the 10 degree incline.
    My first thought was to make it as the golf ball was hit horizontally and at an angle of 55 degrees. I am not sure how to figure out the distance "d" though.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

2. Relevant equations

s=vot + 1/2 at^2

v=vo + at

V^2=vo^2 + 2as

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find the horizontal speed. Determine the height at B. Plug that time into your equation for height: [itex]h = v_yt - .5gt^2[/itex] to find the time of flight. Put that value of t into your equation for horizontal speed.

AM

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

I have the horizontal speed as 80cos55 = 45.89ft/s

I am unsure of how to calculate the height at which the ball hits the ground. Could someone shed some light as to how I would go about this.

Thanks in advance.

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The height divided by the horizontal distance travelled (vxt) is tan(10).

This equation for h, combined with [itex]h = v_{0y}t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/itex] gives you two equations and two unknowns. So you can solve for t.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook