Projectile Problem: Find "d" on 10° Incline

• Thread starter James22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the distance "d" in a problem involving a golf ball being hit at an angle on a 10 degree incline. The equations s=vot + 1/2 at^2, v=vo + at, and V^2=vo^2 + 2as are mentioned as possible solutions. The conversation also suggests finding the horizontal speed and determining the height at point B, and then using the equations h = v_yt - .5gt^2 and h = v_{0y}t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2 to solve for the unknowns.
James22

Homework Statement

if20rc.jpg

There is the question I am having trouble with. All the data is given in the image. I am to find "d". The slope being on an angle is what is throwing me off. It would be simple enough if the ground was perfectly horizontal, but I am not sure how to handle the 10 degree incline.
My first thought was to make it as the golf ball was hit horizontally and at an angle of 55 degrees. I am not sure how to figure out the distance "d" though.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Homework Equations

s=vot + 1/2 at^2

v=vo + at

V^2=vo^2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the horizontal speed. Determine the height at B. Plug that time into your equation for height: [itex]h = v_yt - .5gt^2[/itex] to find the time of flight. Put that value of t into your equation for horizontal speed.

AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have the horizontal speed as 80cos55 = 45.89ft/s

I am unsure of how to calculate the height at which the ball hits the ground. Could someone shed some light as to how I would go about this.

Thanks in advance.

The height divided by the horizontal distance traveled (vxt) is tan(10).

This equation for h, combined with [itex]h = v_{0y}t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/itex] gives you two equations and two unknowns. So you can solve for t.

AM

1. What is a projectile problem?

A projectile problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air, and then travels in a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What does "d" represent in this problem?

In this problem, "d" represents the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile on the 10° incline. It is typically measured in meters.

3. How is the 10° incline relevant to the problem?

The 10° incline is the angle of the surface on which the projectile is launched. This angle affects the initial velocity and trajectory of the projectile, which in turn affects the horizontal distance traveled.

4. What other variables are needed to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you will also need to know the initial velocity of the projectile, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time the projectile is in the air.

5. How can I use the equations of motion to solve this problem?

There are several equations of motion that can be used to solve this problem, such as the kinematic equations or the trajectory equation. These equations involve the known variables and can help you calculate the unknown variable, "d".