Projectile Problem Homework: CM, x(t) Equations

• Thread starter Kitten207
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the purpose of Projectile Problem Homework is to help students understand and apply the concepts of projectile motion, including the use of the center of mass (CM) and x(t) equations. The center of mass (CM) in a projectile problem can be determined by finding the average position of all the mass in the system. The x(t) equation is used to describe the horizontal position of a projectile at any given time and is important in determining the trajectory and range. To approach a projectile problem using equations, one must identify known and unknown variables and use appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns. Common mistakes to avoid in solving projectile problems include forgetting initial velocity and acceleration, using incorrect equations, and not paying attention to vector direction. It
Kitten207

Homework Statement

Located here:

http://i54.tinypic.com/5vzkll.jpg

Homework Equations

CM = Σ(m_i)(x_i)

x(t)= x_o + (v_ox)t + ½(a_x)t²

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I have to break it up into components?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your link does not work.

1. What is the purpose of Projectile Problem Homework?

The purpose of Projectile Problem Homework is to help students understand and apply the concepts of projectile motion, including the use of the center of mass (CM) and x(t) equations. This type of homework allows students to practice and improve their problem-solving skills in this topic.

2. How do I determine the center of mass (CM) in a projectile problem?

The center of mass (CM) in a projectile problem can be determined by finding the average position of all the mass in the system. This can be calculated by multiplying the mass of each object by its respective position and then dividing by the total mass. The resulting value is the coordinates of the CM.

3. What is the significance of the x(t) equation in projectile problems?

The x(t) equation is used to describe the horizontal position of a projectile at any given time. It takes into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. This equation is important in determining the trajectory and range of a projectile.

4. How do I approach a projectile problem using equations?

To solve a projectile problem using equations, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the appropriate equations, such as the CM and x(t) equations, to set up a system of equations. Solve for the unknown variables using algebraic manipulation and substitution.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in solving projectile problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in solving projectile problems are forgetting to account for the initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity, using the wrong equations, and not paying attention to the direction of the vectors. It is also important to double-check units and calculations for accuracy.