Muzzle Vel. Calc: Proj. Problem (vx)

• Thread starter vanitymdl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the muzzle velocity of a bullet based on its coordinates at the muzzle and where it hits the ground. The conversation also delves into the concept of forces on the bullet in both horizontal and vertical directions. However, the conversation is cut short as it is against the rules to do homework problems for others.
vanitymdl
Your gun's muzzle is at coordinate (0,1.12) meters and
Your projectile hit the ground at coordinate (1.03,0) meters

Compute muzzle velocity (vx):This is all I'm given to figure out the muzzles velocity, so I know I'm given a height and how much it moved horizontally. But I'm getting confused to how I need to find the vx. I was simply going to do the Pythagorean theorem,
But I don't think that would make much sense because the graph should look more like a parabola.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the bullet is fired horizontally, why does it fall to the ground?

bullet problem

The force on the bullet in the x direction is Fx = m(d2x/dt2) = 0.
The force on the bullet in the y direction is Fy = m(d2y/dt2) – mgy = 0.
Integrating the first equation twice w.r.t. time we get
x = << Too much detailed help deleted by Mentors >>

Last edited by a moderator:
You just wrote that the force on the bullet in the y direction is zero. You know that right?

Note: it is against the rules to do homework problems for people.
The idea is to guide them to discovering how to do it for themselves.

f.wright said:
The force on the bullet in the x direction is Fx = m(d2x/dt2) = 0.
Integrating the first equation twice w.r.t. time we get
x = << Too much detailed help deleted by Mentors >>

Please remember that the student must do the bulk of the work. You are welcome to provide hints, find errors, ask probing questions, etc. But it is against the PF rules to do the student's homework for them.

What is muzzle velocity?

Muzzle velocity is the speed at which a projectile leaves the muzzle of a gun or other weapon. It is typically measured in feet per second (fps) or meters per second (m/s).

How is muzzle velocity calculated?

Muzzle velocity is calculated by measuring the time it takes for a projectile to travel a known distance, typically 10 feet, and using the formula v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

What factors affect muzzle velocity?

Several factors can affect muzzle velocity, including the type and weight of the projectile, the amount of gunpowder, the length of the barrel, and air resistance. Environmental factors such as temperature and altitude can also play a role.

Why is muzzle velocity important?

Muzzle velocity is important because it affects the accuracy, range, and impact of a projectile. It is also used to determine the power and performance of a weapon.

How does muzzle velocity impact ballistics?

Muzzle velocity is a crucial factor in ballistics, as it determines the trajectory, time of flight, and energy of a projectile. It also affects factors such as bullet drop, wind drift, and penetration power.