1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Question PLEASE HELP

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    Thank you for everyones help.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2
    Sorry but I didn't understand your solution. :( But my approach will be : Calculate distance traveled by them at any instant and add them up. There sum is equal to height of tower.

4. Sep 30, 2007 #3
    We have two variables, time and height, and two equations, one for the first object and one for the second.

The equation for the first object is x= (xi) -(vi)(t) - (1/2)(g)(t^2) , where xi= initial height= 60 m
    The equation for the second object, since g is working against the motion, is x= (xi) + (Vi)(t)-(1/2)(g)(t^2), vi= initial velocity, and xi= initial position/height= 0 m

Plug in your knowns, and solve the system of equations.

------
    On second look I see that you did this for your second attempt, and this is correct as far as I know-- 40.9 m. There must be a mistake in your first attempt.

Your first attempt is confusing, I can't really tell what you did. Maybe your position-time equation for the first object is incorrect. What equation did you use for your first object? Leave out units for now so I can see what you did.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?