Learn How to Calculate Projectile Force for Your Project - Helpful Tips Included

• Thread starter mocfive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a curved tube that will launch a ball straight up. The goal is to determine the minimum force or energy needed to launch the ball through the tube and out the top. The formula for potential energy is used to calculate the required kinetic energy, and it is determined that the minimum velocity for the ball to make it to the top is 3.1305 m/s. The conversation also mentions the need to find a solenoid strong enough to do the work and provides conversions for force to pounds. Finally, the concept of weight and its relationship to mass is explained.
mocfive
I have attached a diagram of what I am trying to do. This is a side view of a tube that will be carrying that ball up through the curve and back in the opposite direction, just 50 cm higher. The ball is hard plastic and the curved tube is probably going to be hard plastic as well but sprayed w/ teflon. Basically, I need to figure out how much force or energy is required to launch that ball through the tube and out the top.

I am confused about which formulas apply and which don't. I would appreciate help deriving the formulas so I can tweak the numbers to make this design work best for my project.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just want to clarify something. This tube is perpendicular with the ground. The ball is basically traveling straight up, just through this curved tube.

Greg

If you can ignore energy losses due to friction and the banging of the ball against the tube, then the final KE will equal the initial KE minus mgh (since mechanical energy would be conserved). Thus the ball needs a minimum initial KE = mgh to have a chance of making it. Start with that and tweak it.

ok, so the potential energy of the ball once it get to the top of the tube is mgh, (0.03*9.8*.50) = 0.147J. So The Kinetic energy must equal 0.147 J.

1/2 m v^2 = 0.147 J
1/2 (0.03kg) V^2 = 0.147j
v = 3.1305

Ok that's as far as I can get. Does this means that the minimum velocity must be 3.1305 m/s ?

Now I know I need to find force required to do this work and eventually use this information to find a solenoid strong enough to do this work. Solenoids list the force they produce in lbs.

Are these conversions correct to change force to lbs? Is this conversion possible?

100n = 10kg
10n=1kg
1n= 100g

thanks for all the help,
Greg

mocfive said:
Ok that's as far as I can get. Does this means that the minimum velocity must be 3.1305 m/s ?
That's the minimum velocity to barely make it to the top. If you want it to shoot out, you'll need more.

Now I know I need to find force required to do this work and eventually use this information to find a solenoid strong enough to do this work. Solenoids list the force they produce in lbs.
I'm not sure what your arrangement is, but it's force acting through a distance that will give the ball energy.

It may be helpful to note that 1 pound = 4.45 Newtons.

Are these conversions correct to change force to lbs? Is this conversion possible?

100n = 10kg
10n=1kg
1n= 100g
What you've done is find the weight of a given mass using w = mg. For example: a 1 kg mass weighs 1*9.8 = 9.8 N.

1. What is projectile force and why is it important to calculate?

Projectile force is the force applied to an object to make it move in a curved path or trajectory. It is important to calculate because it helps determine the distance, speed, and impact of a projectile, which is crucial for safety, design, and accuracy in various projects such as sports, engineering, and military operations.

2. What are the key factors that affect projectile force?

The key factors that affect projectile force are the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the angle at which the object is launched. The force of gravity also plays a role in determining the projectile force.

3. How do you calculate projectile force?

Projectile force can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. To calculate the acceleration of a projectile, you will also need to use the formula a = v^2 / d, where v is the initial velocity and d is the distance traveled.

4. What are some helpful tips for calculating projectile force?

Some helpful tips for calculating projectile force include using accurate measurements for mass, velocity, and distance, making sure to use consistent units, and considering air resistance or other external factors that may affect the trajectory of the projectile. It is also important to double check your calculations and use multiple methods to verify the results.

5. Are there any online resources or tools available for calculating projectile force?

Yes, there are various online resources and tools available for calculating projectile force, such as projectile motion calculators, simulation software, and interactive tutorials. It is always a good idea to use multiple resources and consult with experts to ensure accuracy and precision in your calculations.