Projectile Motion: Homework Help for Max Height & Time in Air

• Thread starter HTT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: At t = 10 s, the rocket has an altitude of 5 meters and has traveled 10 meters since the fuel was ignited.
HTT

Homework Statement

A model rocket has an acc of 5m/s/s while its fuel is buring. Its fuel lasts for 10 sec. ignore the air resistance.

Homework Equations

a) max height above the ground of this rocket?
b) the time this rocket in the air before it hits the ground?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea about this question, and I'm going to cry because it's due on tomorrow... Please help me~[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show an attempt. What equation will work for this question?

Here are the equations I try to use:
Vx =Vo+a*t
displacement x = t/2(Vo+V) = Vo*t+(1/2)*a*t^2
(Vx)^2 = (Vo)^2 + 2a*displacement

Those formulas are all you need. Split the motion into two parts - the time where the fuel is burning and the free fall afterwards.
What are velocity and displacement after 10 seconds? What happens afterwards?

You can assume that the rocket starts on the ground, at rest, and accelerates perfectly vertical. A good problem statement would have made this clear, but whatever.

mfb said:
Those formulas are all you need. Split the motion into two parts - the time where the fuel is burning and the free fall afterwards.
What are velocity and displacement after 10 seconds? What happens afterwards?

You can assume that the rocket starts on the ground, at rest, and accelerates perfectly vertical. A good problem statement would have made this clear, but whatever.
I'm not really understand this sentence from question, "Its fuel lasts for 10 sec" does it mean the time from the rocket start flying to hitting the ground. Or, other meanings...

HTT said:
I'm not really understand this sentence from question, "Its fuel lasts for 10 sec" does it mean the time from the rocket start flying to hitting the ground. Or, other meanings...

Assume at t = 0, the rocket is on the ground, and the fuel is ignited. The rocket takes off and flies straight up. At t = 10 s, the fuel is exhausted and the rocket is no longer accelerating due to the burning of the fuel. What happens next?

SteamKing said:
Assume at t = 0, the rocket is on the ground, and the fuel is ignited. The rocket takes off and flies straight up. At t = 10 s, the fuel is exhausted and the rocket is no longer accelerating due to the burning of the fuel. What happens next?
Thank you so much, I think I got it~.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, after being launched or thrown at an angle.

2. How do you calculate the maximum height of a projectile?

To calculate the maximum height of a projectile, you can use the formula h = (v02sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

3. What factors affect the time in air of a projectile?

The time in air of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and the acceleration due to gravity. The air resistance and height of launch also play a role in the time in air of a projectile.

4. How do you find the time in air of a projectile?

To find the time in air of a projectile, you can use the formula t = 2v0sinθ/g, where t is the time in air, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

5. Can you use projectile motion equations to calculate the trajectory of a ball thrown at an angle?

Yes, projectile motion equations can be used to calculate the trajectory of a ball thrown at an angle. By using the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, the trajectory of a ball can be determined. However, this assumes that there is no air resistance and the ball is not affected by external forces such as wind.