1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile question

1. Oct 26, 2003 #1
    A stone is thrown horizontally at 14.0 m/s from a cliff 75.7 m high. How far from the base of the cliff does the stone strike the ground?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2003 #2
    Hi,

This is how u go about with the problem:

First calculate the vertical velocity of the stone using
    v = & radic ;(2*g*h) and then calculate the time taken t for the ball to reach the ground vertically, then using the horizontal velocity that is given to be = 14m/s by using t = 75.7/vand then calculate the horizontal distance travelled by the stone using 14 * t. This the distance travelled by the stone away from the base of the cliff.

Sridhar

4. Oct 26, 2003 #3
    Reformatted reply,

Since the answer was not formatted properly, heres the same answer formatted again...
    This is how u go about with the problem:
    First calculate the vertical velocity of the stone using
    v = √(2*g*h) and then calculate the time taken t for the ball to reach the ground vertically, then using the horizontal velocity that is given to be = 14m/s by using t = 75.7/vand then calculate the horizontal distance travelled by the stone using 14 * t. This the distance travelled by the stone away from the base of the cliff.

Sridhar

5. Oct 27, 2003 #4
    hi

what does g and h stand for?

6. Oct 27, 2003 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: hi

Perhaps you need to spend a little more time studying, and less time on the computer. We do not do your homework for you here. We make every effort to help you learn, some things you simply must learn on your own. This question says, to me, that you have not put much effort into this assignment. Please set down and read you book.

7. Oct 27, 2003 #6
    hmmm

ummm...before you talk **** about me, i just wanna let you know this isn't my homework. i havent learned this yet. im still on acceleration and velocity...so yeah.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?